Easy User Switching / Parental reqeust

Titanarchon

Titanarchon

First of all, i would like to thank all the developers for this app. I love it and short of one "feature," its my favorite but unfortunately not my main... yet. Also this may be something i have missed, but lets see. Let me see if i can explain.

Currently there is a sign out button. I get its functionality and its purpose. Allowing you to swap servers and the users within it is great. But....

Please don't flame me for necessarily comparing Plex to Emby, i think Emby is far superior, but this one thing is keeping me from making it my main. I have Children. Young ones. Currently when using the "Sign Out" button, it brings you to a screen to see your available servers, users, and a few options. This is the functionality in Emby. I also want to add that the parental controls are AWESOME.

Here is what i would like to see. "Sign Out" should do just that. It's current functionality should not change. It should only be available to the main account and be a little harder to find on all applications/platforms. On Plex, there is a "Switch User" option. THIS is what we are missing. When they click that, they are taken to a screen where only my local users are seen (only Forgot Password, no Add Server, no other options besides Users) and when they try to get to mom and dads... they are faced with a PIN that is mandatory then the only option is back into Kids profile. They also know to hit this button and go to Kids if we are not awake and they decide to watch TV. It works the same for both the primary account and the local users you create.

The "Switch Users" button would be awesome across all platforms. The "Sign Out" button should be a little deeper while a "Switch User" button is easy, straight forward, and easily accessible. Also a seperate PIN interface like the one i attached would be nice.

I have attached a few screenshots with notes on them to illustrate. 

Capture2 - PIN interface i am forced to enter

post-264312-0-76357900-1587169265_thumb.png

Capture4 - End goal of request (I want to note that...     A.when hitting switch user in Kids, they cannot Add a User      B. There is NO sign out button on Kids, only switch user )

post-264312-0-96946700-1587169275_thumb.png

Capture3 - The Switch User button i speak of, is available and works the same in all applications/platforms.

post-264312-0-43332500-1587169271_thumb.png 

Honestly i am willing to buy this all over again if this gets added. I think this is FAR superior but i cant risk my children's safety. Remember they are 5 and 7, so they don't understand servers, users, forgotten passwords. Try to envision my request from a parents view.

Thank you all SOOOO much for this and reading/listening. I am fully willing to talk on the phone/Teams meeting if a discussion is in order. Again ill freaking pay for this software all over again to get this implemented. I know that doesn't cover the cost of dev, but i know for a fact this is a gripe by most of my parent friends and the only reason they are sticking with the competition.... for now.

Edited by Titanarchon
  • Like 1

Hi.  I agree a shorter method of switching between users would be good (in fact, it already exists in the Android TV app) but our functionality is functionally equivalent to what you are asking for, it just takes a couple extra clicks.

However - there is no such thing as a "primary" account - that is a concept you are bringing from the other guys and is because they work by everyone having an account with them and then you can attach some of those accounts to yours.  We don't work that way.  No one has to have an account with us.  Your users are your users.

Titanarchon

Thanks and I totally understand the main user piece.

Maybe a way to distinguish a kids account via checkbox so that when they hit switch user, they don’t get the additional settings then require a PIN on any other users who have one set up may do it. Then when they switch users on my name, they get that same screen and can only go back into mine or any other set up with a PIN if they have it. That’s a great way to do it!

Titanarchon

Well I guess with a specific Switch User interface, no checkbox would be necessary. Just require a PIN on the switch users to secure them is all if They have one set up.

Edited by Titanarchon
  • Like 1