OTA Network Live TV options

jradams76

jradams76

Currently using Emby and love it.

I was curious what my options are to watch OTA channels on my TV via Wifi.

I had my TV originally hooked up to the antenna in the attic using an existing Coax in the house. My wife has decided to move the TV now to the fireplace so I was hoping I could hook something up to the the antenna / network that could then send the signal to the TV? I was looking at the HDHome Run and the Tablo but still not sure they will do what I need and then how to watch the LIVE TV on the TV (Maybe use Emby?)  The TV is an older Samsung smart TV if that helps maybe 3 years old. Wifi Network is good in the house.

Just wanted to see what my options where before trying to figure out how to fish wire to the fireplace. Figured by having the OTA signal via WIFI I could watch TV on other TV's throughout the house that also have Emby installed.  Any recommendations so I dont have to fish wire to a fireplace and then figure out how to cut bricks :)

Thanks

revengineer

The one issue that you may run into is that your wifi cannot sustain the the native bandwidth of OTA transmissions, which are up to 20 MB/s. The further you are from the wifi router, the more likely you run into this issue. To avoid fishing wires, I tried for powerline networking and that seems to work better with my HTPC.

With my Roku I run into a different problem in that the TV stream seems to be transcoded rather than directly played. This requires a sufficiently fast emby server to encode the stream to something Roku can play. My server is a low power core i3 and cannot handle 20 MB/s encoding, which results in continuous buffering. So here is use my cable tuner, which carries compressed version of the OTA stations at ~half the OTA bandwidth.

maegibbons

20Mbps

20MBps is near 200Mbps

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

revengineer

Sorry, I meant 20 Mbps, so mega bits not bytes. There seems to be plenty of headroom for ac wifi. I cannot explain the buffering, I am only reporting what I am seeing.