Should Emby Server wake to record TV

emg456

After it's done recording, try and play it back and see if you get the same error.

emg456

It had finished - the recording was done early this morning. As I say - it's listed in the recordings list, when you click it takes you to the main description page but when you click play gives the error.

Can you play the video outside of Emby with something like VLC?

Can you load in in a program like Xmedia Recode and see both audio and video tracks?

emg456

No - there is a .ts file in the recordings folder but nothing will play it - WinTV, VLC. Xmedia Recode doesnt show anything whwn the file is loaded - no errors either? I hav not used that software before but I would have expected the info to appear in the top pane to allow one to choose what to recode, Yes?

I had a feeling.  Let's see if this was fluke or if you see this happen again.

emg456

So this afternoon's adventure was a bit different. A timer was set for the movie No Highway in the Sky at 15:00.

The computer woke at 14:59:30 but didn't leave the usual "Power Troubleshooter" entry in the Windows/System log to show the reason for the wake up. It went back to sleep 30 minutes later due to idle - that's the unattended idle time I have it set for.

Emby put no entries in the Embyserver log at that time.

When I woke the computer later manually (power button) at 17.27, Emby fired the timer that should have fired at 15:00 but of course the program had already ended.

Latest log attached.

embyserver.txt

Edited by emg456
typo

If you turn off sleeping does Emby record when it's supposed to?

emg456

Thanks for your help with this @cayars.

There has been a slight delay as I have been testing alternative solutions.

To answer your question above, emby missed all the recordings scheduled when I had sleep disabled which I then suspected may have been due to some error in the Hauppauge tuner - when I looked at the Win TV application, it was showing no pictures.

I restarted everything set my sleep options back on and tested scheduled recordings using the Hauppauge WinTV application. It recorded all programs without issue with the pc going to sleep in between times.

I have now installed NextPvr on the box and tested again. Once more, every recording went as planned. So I'm thinking of just handing recording tasks over to NextPvr and have installed the emby NextPvr plugin on my emby server. That's not working properly but is outwith the scope of this thread so I will start another in the appropriate forum.

Do you see anyway forward using just Emby? I am paying a subcription for Emby Premiere but it seems to simply not work well on my system.

This is sort of a difficult things to try and work remotely.  I'd love to see this first hand but in order to TeamView in (or other remote control) would change things and would require precise timing at that.

NextPVR is a good program that can do a lot and it does work well with Emby.

Frankly we don't see a lot of people powering down their media servers like this as most want the media PC available 24/7.  So that begs the question...

Why do you want your computer going to sleep in the first place?  It's harder on the hardware than just being left on.  It doesn't save much on the electric bill over leaving the computer on using setting that power down video/monitor and drives when not needed if it's modern computer built in the last 3 to 4 years.  Usually will be less than $1.00 per month on the electric bill.

emg456

Aye well... I don't want the noise in the room. Now I could change out the power supply for a more silent one and would probably have to do the cpu cooler as well. That would be possible but I really don't want to go to that expense right now on what could well prove to be a wild goose chase.

I just tend to take it at face value that if people on the actual software development team say the software works fine being used in a particular way then that's what it should do. There's nothing particularly unusual about the box- it was built last year from all new components (apart from the case) and it and the Windows OS seems to fulfil its obligations now that I've tweaked some settings. It seems to be Emby which is not doing what it's supposed to do. Now I've posted various logs on this thread but of course I don't know if anyone with intimate knowledge of Emby's workings has actually had a look at them to ascertain what the issue might be but at the moment it looks to me like Emby doesn't actually work in the way I want it to.

I'll experiment further with the Emby/NextPVR combo and see if I can get it running acceptable.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 6:02 PM, emg456 said:

So this afternoon's adventure was a bit different. A timer was set for the movie No Highway in the Sky at 15:00.

The computer woke at 14:59:30 but didn't leave the usual "Power Troubleshooter" entry in the Windows/System log to show the reason for the wake up. It went back to sleep 30 minutes later due to idle - that's the unattended idle time I have it set for.

Emby put no entries in the Embyserver log at that time.

When I woke the computer later manually (power button) at 17.27, Emby fired the timer that should have fired at 15:00 but of course the program had already ended.

Latest log attached.

embyserver.txt 1.66 MB · 1 download

How did you confirm that the system woke up, only via the windows log? did you use it at all when it woke up before it went back to sleep again?

emg456
22 hours ago, Luke said:

How did you confirm that the system woke up, only via the windows log? did you use it at all when it woke up before it went back to sleep again?

The box sits next to my desk - I heard it coming on and thought "Good - that's it recording." I wasn't there when it went back to sleep and I had no interaction with it whilst it was running.

22 hours ago, Luke said:

Also are you running Windows 8.1?

Windows 10 Pro.

emg456
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Did the windows scheduled task that emby creates execute?

I think so- no other reason for the box to wake up at that time.

It's three weeks ago since that test and the logs are not available to check properly now. I was getting nowhere with this and so have moved on to using NextPVR with the Emby plugin for recording. Whilst that is working reliably with regard to wake/sleep and scheduling, it has other issues so I would be open to re-testing with Emby if you're prepared to help.

What info and logs would you need?

Don't guess.  Look at the task and see if it ran.

emg456
20 hours ago, cayars said:

Don't guess.  Look at the task and see if it ran.

It was three weeks ago. Those tasks are no longer available to view.

OK, makes sense.  :)

Any chance you could do another test and then if it fails check the history of the task to see what ran and what didn't when it wakes up?

On 7/7/2020 at 5:33 AM, emg456 said:

I think so- no other reason for the box to wake up at that time.

It's three weeks ago since that test and the logs are not available to check properly now. I was getting nowhere with this and so have moved on to using NextPVR with the Emby plugin for recording. Whilst that is working reliably with regard to wake/sleep and scheduling, it has other issues so I would be open to re-testing with Emby if you're prepared to help.

What info and logs would you need?

Yea if you could try again and go through the process that would be great. I would like to know if the windows scheduled task we created was actually executed.

emg456

OK @Luke - sorry for the delay. I removed the NextPVR plugin so that Emby could take over the recording again and all my channels seemed to get screwed up.  tried a clean install but no change and today deleted all my channels in the WinTV software and retuned. Clean install of Emby and now back to where it should be. So scheduled three recordings today.

The Emby wake tasks ran timeously each time and the computer was awake and should have been ready to record.

First program, Emby started to record half an hour late- named the file correctly but the content was the next programme on that channel.

Second program, Emby recorded sucessfully.

Third program, Emby didn't record anything.

I've attached the server log and screenshots showing the wake up event for each recording and the scheduled tasks window showing each task ran at the appropriate time.

Do you need any other logs?

Thanks 

Ed

Emby Event Viewer1.jpg

Emby Event Viewer2.jpg

Emby Event Viewer3.jpg

Emby Task Scheduler.jpg

embyserver.txt

emg456

And today, true to form, the server just woke up in response to the scheduled task which was set to record the first programme yesterday- this was a one-off record- not a series link.