Dolby Vision with Shield Pro 2019?

Hi folks.  I've done my searching which unfortunately has only left me a little more confused.  I'm wondering how to get Dolby Vision playback working with Emby on Shield Pro 2019.  I first ripped to MKV of which after my researched I learned that MKV cannot support dolby vision.  Then I found a post about using the backup function in MakeMKV to rip to M2TS which I did successfully but when I try the movie in Emby it starts to load (green circle) then just returns me back to the title screen of the move in Emby app.  I read that MP4 can do it but you can't have lossless audio so yeah, a bit confused as to the possibility of using Dolby Vision through Emby and what that process might be.  Help appreciated.  Thanks.

Hi, does the device support this?

Only single-layer which, I understand, is very rare.

Only single-layer which, I understand, is very rare.

Hi, does the device support this?

Yes, ATV4k does playback a sample M2TS DV file but not the movie I'm looking to play.

Understood on the single layer thing.  Thanks for letting me know.  Appreciated.

MBSki

@@ebr Can you explain this a bit more? I just learned that MakeMKV now captures the Dolby Vision track. But, it appears to put it in a single layer. Are you saying the hardware device can't handle single layer? So, could Android TV play the Dolby Vision in the single layer if the hardware device supported it? I'm using a Sony TV with Android TV. Am I out of luck?

@@ebr Can you explain this a bit more? I just learned that MakeMKV now captures the Dolby Vision track. But, it appears to put it in a single layer. Are you saying the hardware device can't handle single layer? So, could Android TV play the Dolby Vision in the single layer if the hardware device supported it? I'm using a Sony TV with Android TV. Am I out of luck?

Hi.  I said only single layer was supported.  So, theoretically, this should work if your TV supports it.

MBSki

@@ebr Thanks. I'm pretty sure MakeMKV puts it in a single layer. It's not working for me though. The Sony TV probably doesn't support it or there's more work to do to get the DV included. Do you need to do anything with Emby or will it work with no other changes to the Android TV app?

MBSki

Exo should already support single-layer DV.

Got it, thanks. I'll keep experimenting to see if I can get it to work. Although my guess is that the Sony TV just doesn't support it. 

MBSki

Thanks @@FrostByte! A lot to go through there. Based on a quick look it seems there's still some more work to be done in ExoPlayer for more containers to be supported. Is that right?

FrostByte

Thanks @@FrostByte! A lot to go through there. Based on a quick look it seems there's still some more work to be done in ExoPlayer for more containers to be supported. Is that right?

That's what I get from all that.  It says MP4 is the only container exoplayer supports DV in just like you mentioned already.  The second article it linked to goes through using the OMX decoder to process DV.