Won't Play on Wifi or 4G

Scott750

Scott750

I'm unable to play any movie on wifi or 4G. When I try to play a movie, the backdrop image loads in landscape and the blips right back to the movie info screen.

I'm able to access the web dashboard and navigate just fine on both wifi and 4G . I can play movies from the web dashboard, but only if I'm on wifi. 4G doesn't work, but I have a thread in the Server forum for that.

I have HLS disabled and running Android v4.4.2 if that helps.

I keep seeing in logs that the client disconnected or transcoding failed, but I don't see any errors in the Transcode logs.

2014-07-03 21:50:14.0328 Error - App: Error streaming media. The client has most likely disconnected or transcoding has failed.

I did see another thread where someone had a similar issue with 4G and found that unchecking Automatic Port Mapping in the Web Dashboard -> Advanced -> Server helped, but that did not help me.

Here are the full Server and Transcode logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lsqw6o51v0xf0c/MediaBrowser%20Android%20Logs.zip

MBS v3.0.5289.18702

Android App v1.0.45

Edited by Scott750

Try lowering the bitrate settings in the apps you're trying to play from.

Scott750

I just tried lowering the bit rates to the lowest settings (250kb/s for cellular & 1 Mb/s for wifi ) and it still does the same thing.

I just tested my Internet connection using speedtest.net just to make sure:

Lan = 108Mbps down / 11Mbps up

WiFi = 12 Mbps down / 11 Mbps up

Scott750

The movie backdrop will load in landscape and just stays like that. 

Here's what I see in the Server logs. Nothing generated in the Transcode logs::

2014-07-05 23:39:17.8068 Info - ServerManager: Sending web socket message UserUpdated

2014-07-05 23:39:17.8068 Info - UserManager: Authentication request for Administrator has succeeded.
2014-07-05 23:39:18.2228 Info - App: Client connected from 192.168.1.1:43967
2014-07-05 23:39:30.6318 Info - App: Client connected from 192.168.1.1:58395
2014-07-05 23:41:51.3488 Warn - App: PlaybackStopped reported with null media info.
2014-07-05 23:42:02.8298 Info - Dlna: DLNA Session created for Home TV - PN64D8000
2014-07-05 23:42:18.9528 Info - App: Client connected from 192.168.1.1:49726
2014-07-05 23:42:19.3568 Warn - App: PlaybackStopped reported with null media info.
2014-07-05 23:42:43.8468 Error - App: Error getting response from http://192.168.1.147:52235/upnp/control/AVTransport1
The operation has timed out
System.Net.WebException
  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsync>d__7.MoveNext()

2014-07-05 23:42:43.8468 Error - Dlna: Error updating device info
MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException
  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsync>d__7.MoveNext()
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.PlayTo.SsdpHttpClient.<SendCommandAsync>d__0.MoveNext()
  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.PlayTo.Device.<GetTransportInfo>d__8e.MoveNext()
  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.PlayTo.Device.<TimerCallback>d__5b.MoveNext()
InnerException: System.Net.WebException
  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)

2014-07-05 23:43:03.8678 Error - App: Error getting response from http://192.168.1.147:52235/upnp/control/AVTransport1
System.Net.WebException

2014-07-05 23:43:03.8698 Error - Dlna: Error updating device info
MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException
  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.PlayTo.SsdpHttpClient.<SendCommandAsync>d__0.MoveNext()
  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.PlayTo.Device.<GetTransportInfo>d__8e.MoveNext()
  at MediaBrowser.Dlna.PlayTo.Device.<TimerCallback>d__5b.MoveNext()
InnerException: System.Net.WebException

2014-07-05 23:43:05.8038 Info - App: Client connected from 192.168.1.1:35032
2014-07-05 23:43:06.2638 Warn - App: PlaybackStopped reported with null media info.
2014-07-05 23:43:12.0728 Info - App: Client connected from 192.168.1.1:35646

@@Luke it looks like the server is logging a 500 error when playback is requested. 

The 500 is coming at the end after the disconnect.

to be honest it looks like network connectivity or congestion on his end. there are no obvious failures, encoding or otherwise occurring.

Redshirt

I think so too. I don't know what to suggest.

Scott750

Redshirt/Luke, thank you for looking into this. I've tried running the Android app with and without hls. With hls, the movie backdrop image appears and stays like that. Without hls, the backdrop image appears then goes back to the info screen after a couple seconds. I've tried reducing the bit rates to the lowest settings but still get the same results.

I also have the mediabrowser app runnung on my 8.9" Kindle Fire HD wifi version. It can play all the movies, with hls on, without any issues. I just left the bit rates at the default 6Mbps speed.

Scott750

Update: So I noticed that the temporary transcode files are doing a lot of read/writes to default folder, which is on my OS SSD.  So I set the temp folder to my FlexRaid drive pool instead.

Now I'm able to watch movies while on the home wifi. But when I switched to 4G, it'll play for a few monutes then pause with the Android spinning circle thinking.

If I press the back key to go back to the movie info page then resume the movie, it will resume for a few more minutes then the movie pauses again. 

Here's some new logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z71zglji3f7pu6o/20140708%20logs.zip

Any help is appreciated.