Resolution problem

ebr

Our settings are based on the width but the basic quality nomenclature of "720" or "480" refers to vertical lines of resolution.

techywarrior

Well, what techywarrior is saying isn't true. The options in the quality flyout are all based on the width.

Our settings are based on the width but the basic quality nomenclature of "720" or "480" refers to vertical lines of resolution.

Isn't that worse then? If everyone knows 720p/1080p/etc. as being based on height and the MB3 naming is based on width.

If I have a 420i DVD and the quality selector is 720. Or 720p rip (1280x600) and it says 1080p for the quality ???

No, our decision as to whether something should be considered 720 or 1080 is based on width - not our naming.  Our naming is based on the common nomenclature.

We need to base the decision on width because different aspect ratios have different actual heights if the video is cropped to actual size.  Case in point are the items above - which are 480 and 720 content that is an aspect ratio other than 16x9 and cropped.

techywarrior

No, our decision as to whether something should be considered 720 or 1080 is based on width - not our naming.  Our naming is based on the common nomenclature.

We need to base the decision on width because different aspect ratios have different actual heights if the video is cropped to actual size.  Case in point are the items above - which are 480 and 720 content that is an aspect ratio other than 16x9 and cropped.

Ebr, I understand doing the calculation based on the width to determine if it's 720 or 1080, but is the quality setting displayed based on the width?

Basically, my DVD is 720x360, you see the 720px width. You are then determining that is 420 correct? The quality setting in the web client isn't going to list 720 as the quality. (and if it is then I think that's wrong)

Ebr, I understand doing the calculation based on the width to determine if it's 720 or 1080, but is the quality setting displayed based on the width?

Basically, my DVD is 720x360, you see the 720px width. You are then determining that is 420 correct? The quality setting in the web client isn't going to list 720 as the quality. (and if it is then I think that's wrong)

I didn't do the code but, yes, that should be correct.  A width greater than 1900 should show 1080 - greater than 1200 should be 720, etc.

techywarrior

ok cool. I think Luke confused me by saying that it was based on width. But he just meant his calculations. What I said initially is still correct... just maybe not worded the best.

simjan

HI!

Just went from Plex to Mediabrowser. Looks great but have a couple of annoying problems I hope I can get some help with.

Running it on a server 2012 over wifi to a win 8.1 laptop with firefox client for testing.

1. The problem is that the resolution always seems to be below the original? If for example I have a 720p movie I can only choose 480 in the client (with different wifi speeds), if the original is 1080p I can only choose 720 and so on. Have searched the settings but find nothing... I already set quality to highest. Really annoying and a show stopper unless I can solve this!

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Sy

Welcome Sy. Can you give an exact example? What are the actual dimensions of the content you're playing?

simjan

Thank you, nice to be here!

1280 to 524, plays at 720, 720 to 304 plays at 480. Usually these play at higher resolutions than 720 and 480 if for example I stream directly to vlc or plex.

I don't think we attempt to upscale.  Any higher resolution anything else is reporting to you is artificial as the source content is only 524 and 304 vertical resolution.

I think he means 1280 to 524 as in 1280*524. Sy, can you paste the media info from the web client? 

Based on what you're supplying here, it should work as you're expecting so I just want to see what stats say. Thanks.

techywarrior

I think he means 1280 to 524 as in 1280*524.

Unless he means that anything between 524 and 1280 plays as 720 (guessing he is looking at the default transcoding stream setting in the web client or one of the apps). Etc. for the other examples.

I think he means 1280 to 524 as in 1280*524. Sy, can you paste the media info from the web client? 

Based on what you're supplying here, it should work as you're expecting so I just want to see what stats say. Thanks.

That's how I interpreted it.  524 would be 720 and 304 would be 480 - unless we upscale...

(both of those are probably 2.35:1 AR)

simjan
Here is the info. Yes, I mean 1280*524 or 720*304 as below. You are also correct that  I look at the "Quality" button in the web client and it says the quality is 480-4 Mbps for this one, always one "step" below. Maybee I misunderstood it´s purpose but the quality is much lower than it shoud if I look at the video quality.

Video
CodecMPEG4
ProfileAdvanced Simple Profile
Level5
Resolution720x304
Aspect Ratio2.35:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate29.97003
Bitrate1986 kbps
Bit Depth8 bit
Pixel Formatyuv420p
Audio
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Bitrate448 kbps
Sample Rate48000 khz
DefaultNo
Size2892 MB

techywarrior

Ah ok. Yea, 720x304 is not 720p. (it may be confusing but they actually decided to name the "resolutions" based on the vertical resolution at 16x9 aspect ratio)

I think this is due to old TV's and VHS etc. having "lines of resolution" which were the number of horizontal lines displayed on the picture.

simjan

Thanks for the replies. Seems the error was mine... hate to admit it :-) Heavy network activity limited the outgoing bandwidth from the server. Seems ok now and the video quality is as expected although the "quality" button is a bit confusing as techywarrior suggested. Sorry to bother you with this. Will go ahead with the testing and so far I really like it! Have a nice evening!

Well, what techywarrior is saying isn't true. The options in the quality flyout are all based on the width.