Collection Improvements

William LeDuc @gmail

William LeDuc @gmail

I think the philosophy behind collections is short sighted. I use them for Kids Movies for example, but what I use them for most is music. A collection consisting of music videos, live performances, albums, tracks from albums, etc. Collections may be a category of music better than favorites, best pop, music that emphasizes bass or music I want to play for a specific person.

You have made a dramatic improvement in managing collection both with adding to collection (LG app) and showing what collections an item is in. But given how I use collections using a single row horizontal scrolling of collection in the Android app is a shame. Imagine side scrolling in that manner with a collection of 100 items. The LG app does this correctly using screen wide vertical scrolling. 

And sort order - click on Collection from the home screen and you find a lot of nice options for controlling presentation (sort order, etc), but enter a collection and you find no presentation options at all. Having the same sort option available in other libraries seems appropriate. 

I hope this makes sense to more than just me and you look at making improvements in this area. And I don’t see changes like this negatively affect how people are currently using collections.

But given how I use collections using a single row horizontal scrolling of collection in the Android app is a shame. 

Hi there, can you show an example of what you mean? thanks.

rechigo

Yes please! There are tabs for Genres, Folders, but there isn't a tab for collections

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

William LeDuc @gmail

This is a screenshot on the Nvidia Shield with a 14 item collection. You must scroll horizontally to view the items in the collection.

post-420412-0-48787000-1586461874_thumb.png

William LeDuc @gmail

Playlist dont do what you describe ?

No, Playlists presents the item as a track list. I want to see icons like a collection so it is easier to browser. My intent is not to play the collection items one after another like a playlist. And the playlist doesn't appear to have sorting options like I mentioned.

My point about how collections are presented would just make apps consistent. And sorting options are not hard to do and make good sense. You would think as Emby evolves you would want to see a richer and more flexible environment. 

Deathsquirrel

The default collections view on the Android TV app is a single horizontal scrolling list.  I meant to check if this was editable and post about it today too.  It's annoying with large collections.

• Like 1

chacawaca

from my point of view i see

collection =>  dvd or blu-ray box set

playlist => mix of thing you want to listen ( what you ask but with display setting)

if you modify collection like you said, what is the point of playlist, they will be both the same

Happy2Play

Collections currently have two display options (Sort Name and Release Date) via edit metadata on the Collection.  There are already other feature request to have say a drag and drop display order in Collections.

Deathsquirrel

Collections currently have two display options (Sort Name and Release Date) via edit metadata on the Collection.  There are already other feature request to have say a drag and drop display order in Collections.

What I want is vertical scrolling in the android TV app when viewing collections.  My disney animation collection has 65 movies.  Single row horizontal scrolling through that many titles suuuuuucks.

• Like 1

The default collections view on the Android TV app is a single horizontal scrolling list.  I meant to check if this was editable and post about it today too.  It's annoying with large collections.

That is not exactly true.  There is a row for each different type of item in the collection.

We are hoping to expand the intelligence of the apps to use just a single grid when a collection only contains one type of item but there is a bit of work that needs to be done before we can do that.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

That is not exactly true.  There is a row for each different type of item in the collection.

We are hoping to expand the intelligence of the apps to use just a single grid when a collection only contains one type of item but there is a bit of work that needs to be done before we can do that.

Thanks EBR, good to know.  I only use collections for movies at this time so for me it's one row, every time.

William LeDuc @gmail

ebr,

I disagree on both your points. I am not interested in drag and drop sort order. I simply want a variety of sort options like so many other content views in Emby.

And i am not interested in a single grid when a collection contains ONE type of item. Have you reviewed how it's done in the LG app? It uses a single grid with ALL types. 

Have you reviewed how it's done in the LG app? It uses a single grid with ALL types. 

That is actually an unintended consequence of another change.

William LeDuc @gmail

That is actually an unintended consequence of another change.

That is interesting considering the Web app behaves the same way as the LG app. I believe design decisions were made for Android without considering how this was handled elsewhere. And I believe the LG and Web app are doing it correctly. If I have a collection of items I would want like items to appear together regardless of there origin.

That is interesting considering the Web app behaves the same way as the LG app. I believe design decisions were made for Android without considering how this was handled elsewhere. And I believe the LG and Web app are doing it correctly. If I have a collection of items I would want like items to appear together regardless of there origin.

I guess I cannot change what you believe :) but I'm telling you the truth.  Anyone who's been here a while will tell you the other apps changed recently from what the TV app is doing now.  You can also find complaints about it because different types of items don't always show very well when put into the same grid.

William LeDuc @gmail

Sorry for questioning your development process. Given Deathsquirrel’s comments I hope you can find a more workable solution. One possibility would be to add the sort option I had suggested and include a sort by “Type” option that would present the collection as you do today segregated by type. Sort by “Title” would present the collection with all the types together in a grid. I found that there were people that wanted the collections segregated and some wanted it all together. This would satisfy both.

ginjaninja

so it is easier to browser. My intent is not to play the collection items one after another like a playlist.

I would second the value of keeping browsing (navigate to [related] object) and playing requirements  in mind (alongside with managing, ordering etc) as the design develops for collections/playlists.

on a separate note, i wonder  how similar playlists and collections are. Are playlists just collections with an additional 'order/position' value in the schema.

William LeDuc @gmail

post-420412-0-87890800-1586892405_thumb.jpg

I was just reviewing how the Emby Roko app handles collections and I find that it has been implemented with the features I was asking for and more (see attached screenshot). It has a collection count and progress indicator, sort options, etc. This in my mind is a complete implementation of a collection view. Please update the other apps like this. 

Deathsquirrel

attachicon.gif2020-04-14 14.05.01.jpg

I was just reviewing how the Emby Roko app handles collections and I find that it has been implemented with the features I was asking for and more (see attached screenshot). It has a collection count and progress indicator, sort options, etc. This in my mind is a complete implementation of a collection view. Please update the other apps like this. 

Just to illustrate the challenge implicit in your request, I think that looks freaking awful.  I would absolutely hate that mess showing up on my screen.

Different folks, different opinions.  It's what makes 'simple' requests difficult.

• Like 2

William LeDuc @gmail

I don't love the look. But that is not what I am asking for. I'm looking for the features. The features can be added in a variety of ways (look around in other parts of the Emby apps). The collection view in other apps I've looked at is void of features. Not even a count of how many item in the collection.