Chromecast remote casting

Yotengrit

Yotengrit

Hello everyone,

I'm planning on buying a Google Chromecast 3 to my girlfriend, so we can watch movies together on my server during the lockdown.

Is it possible to cast my server's content from her mobile to the Chromecast, remotely?

We're not living together yet, that's why we need to do it remotely, not on LAN. 

Thanks in advance!

mastrmind11

Yes, it should be possible.

At least for me it works with a Mi Box.

As in you can cast to a mibox at a remote location?  Casting is completely different tech than simply streaming to a box.  

Short answer, no, I do not believe it is possible to cast anything to a remote location as there is a requirement that the chromecast be on the same network as the casting device.  I suppose it might be possible with some VPN foolery, but you're probably better off getting a Mi Box and setting it up as a streaming device with the Android TV emby app.

• Like 1

BillOatman

As in you can cast to a mibox at a remote location?  Casting is completely different tech than simply streaming to a box.  

Short answer, no, I do not believe it is possible to cast anything to a remote location as there is a requirement that the chromecast be on the same network as the casting device.  I suppose it might be possible with some VPN foolery, but you're probably better off getting a Mi Box and setting it up as a streaming device with the Android TV emby app.

I agree with this, and the Mi Box probably won't even cost you any more.

• Like 1

Yotengrit

So you guys recommending the Mi box. The model S would be enough for non-4k streaming I guess?

I guess she could still control the Mi Box's Emby app with her phone, right?

I guess she could still control the Mi Box's Emby app with her phone, right?

Yes, or just use the remote control that comes with the device...

mastrmind11

So you guys recommending the Mi box. The model S would be enough for non-4k streaming I guess?

yes.  i have 2, one local and one remote.  works great.

• Like 1

BillOatman

I like the mi box as well and I actually like its remote more than my shields.  

My only issue with is that I need to power cycle it (pull its plug) once or twice a week when it locks up.  Otherwise for the money you really can't beat it.

Edited by BillOatman

Q-Droid

I believe the original question was if chromecast could be used remotely - her phone, her chromecast, her location. This does work, right?

+1 for MiBox. Much more versatile.

I believe the original question was if chromecast could be used remotely - her phone, her chromecast, her location. This does work, right?

+1 for MiBox. Much more versatile.

The key is that the casting device and the Chromecast have to be on the same network so, yes, that should work.