Choice of version of episode or movie

sambarlick

sambarlick

Hi,

I know you can choose which version of multiple versions from the preplay screen, but there is no choice when watching a tv show and the next episode if there are multiple versions, automatically plays without accessing the preplay screen.

This also affects movies in a playlist or collection where multiple versions exist and auto play skips the preplay screen.

Just curious though, what the current criteria (if any) is for the server to play the next episode that has multiple versions?

Thanks, Sam

The system will choose the best version for the device you are playing on.  This, again, gets to the fact that this feature is being used for something that it can be used for but it really wasn't designed for (different cuts instead of just different formats).

What would you want to happen here?  We should produce a dialog you have to respond to before each item plays?

I think that would not be desired at all when this feature is used for its designed purpose (different formats) but I understand it for different cuts.

That all brings me around to thinking that we really need to separate these things but that could be quite difficult at this point...

crusher11

I've made the suggestion before that you could handle it internally by simply looking at the runtime. If they're the same, it's multi-encode. If they're different, it's multi-cut.

In terms of this, there's already the dialog that pops up at the end of each episode, and the selector could be included in that.

I've made the suggestion before that you could handle it internally by simply looking at the runtime. If they're the same, it's multi-encode. If they're different, it's multi-cut.

I'm not sure that is a valid assumption as I can think of cases that would fail that in both directions.

Plus that doesn't address all of the design and app side work that would need to be done to actually treat these differently once they are identified.  It just isn't a simple issue at this point in the road unfortunately.

• Like 1

sambarlick

The system will choose the best version for the device you are playing on. This, again, gets to the fact that this feature is being used for something that it can be used for but it really wasn't designed for (different cuts instead of just different formats).

What would you want to happen here? We should produce a dialog you have to respond to before each item plays?

I think that would not be desired at all when this feature is used for its designed purpose (different formats) but I understand it for different cuts.

That all brings me around to thinking that we really need to separate these things but that could be quite difficult at this point...

Thanks for replying.

So the issue here is how to distinguish between different cuts and different formats/bitrates/quality/resolution.

It would be interesting to know how many users create different files instead of transcoding.

As the other user suggested the server could discriminate and then offer the dialogue.

Different cuts would usually have the moniker - Theatrical, Director's, Broadcast or Special or some variant of in the file name. Where as I would expect users who have different files to avoid transcoding would have monikers like 1080 and 720. I know that doesn't account for audio tracks/channels.

So then to make it easier why can't the choice still be given instead of the server deciding? There could toggle on the server side that turns this option on or off, off server decides, user is presented with a dialogue, perhaps in the up next OSD at the end of the file like there is with tv shows.

Happy2Play

Most people with these multi-version may complain but I think all multi-version items should present options.  But then people get really tired of said option when it has to be done on every episode.  So from a series stand point said version option should be maintained all item played sequentially.

But it is impossible to please everyone on how they expect their media to play.

crusher11

I'm not sure that is a valid assumption as I can think of cases that would fail that in both directions.

Plus that doesn't address all of the design and app side work that would need to be done to actually treat these differently once they are identified.  It just isn't a simple issue at this point in the road unfortunately.

Of course, but it really ought to be done because at the end of the day there are plenty of multi-cut movies out there and it's a valid use for the feature.

While it's certainly possible for two cuts to have identical runtimes - although I'm not sure how likely that could be if you were specific enough - I'm not sure how a transcode would change the length at all? Unless you're converting between NTSC and PAL, I guess, but a) those formats are dead and B) it does mean there's an actual presentation difference rather than just an encoding difference so it's valid to consider them different cuts anyway.

sambarlick

Of course, but it really ought to be done because at the end of the day there are plenty of multi-cut movies out there and it's a valid use for the feature.

While it's certainly possible for two cuts to have identical runtimes - although I'm not sure how likely that could be if you were specific enough - I'm not sure how a transcode would change the length at all? Unless you're converting between NTSC and PAL, I guess, but a) those formats are dead and B) it does mean there's an actual presentation difference rather than just an encoding difference so it's valid to consider them different cuts anyway.

While runtime is a generally a valid discriminating factor between versions there are examples where it is not. The movie Alien for example, both the theatrical and directiors cut are virtually identical in length. Also I have a tv show with multiple versions of episodes where the runtime is identical there is updated CGI in one version.

Emby already knows information about the files such as resolution, bitrates etc thats how the server makes it's decision on which version to play. But it also knows if the version has Director's Cut, Special Edition or Theatrical in the file name as well. Why can they be used?

I could be wrong, but it seems that the issue for implementing this request is that the multiple versions function is that the server determins which version is more suitable for the client hardware, to direct play/stream instead of transcode, using the file resolution/container/bitrate etc... But as you say, the feature also incorporates the ability to have directors cut etc, so my suggestion is where this is the case then then user can have the choice to decide which version to play next.

Deathsquirrel

In terms of this, there's already the dialog that pops up at the end of each episode, and the selector could be included in that.

Won't work for old TV that's available in black & white and colorized.