Bleep out swear words?

mranim8or

mranim8or

Does anyone know if there's a plugin or reliable manual way to bleep out swear words in a movie? I have a 7 year old and there's several movies that are otherwise fine but have one or two instances of 'son of a b****' or damn or something like that (Star Wars and Princess Bride come to mind).

Thanks!

-Mike

mranim8or

It would be useful even if it wasn't automated. If I could just say 'cut the audio entirely from 1:05:00 to 1:05:10' that alone would be awesome.

It would be useful even if it wasn't automated. If I could just say 'cut the audio entirely from 1:05:00 to 1:05:10' that alone would be awesome.

If we were to implement such a thing, it would make sense to go this route: EDL support?

However, it wouldn't work with direct-play apps (MBC/MBT).

Koleckai Silvestri

I think it would be very difficult on audio tracks without specialized equipment. For live television, the audio and video are delayed for 8-15 seconds so this could be handled. For reruns on syndicated television, they usually get a secondary audio track where the bleeps are added manually. Subtitles aren't always updated though.

Not that I know of, although you just gave me an interesting "someday" idea, involving the ability to find words to black out within text-based subtitles.

AdrianW

Now, if we can get some plugin to un-bleep swear words from those U.S. network TV shows we'd be on to a winner  ;)

I find it really strange that UK and Australian network TV shows can use any language they like even when aired relatively early in the evening, and then U.S. TV shows that air at midnight have to bleep the mildest language. I really enjoy shows like Key and Peele, but half the show is bleeped!

chef

Guys this may be possible through the "system.Speech" namespace in the .Ner framework.

You can look into this namespace in more detail on MSDN. This is how you could possibly do it. Although it will be a little harder with with different audio codecs.

And as I know first hand, speech recognition has a long way to come to be prefect reliable, this may work.

First you build an in process speech recognition engine object. Now, instead if setting the input to a recording device on your computer. You set it to recognize words from an audio file.

This will allow the speech recognizer to start computing speech that it is understanding.

From there you could create a sort of subtitle file which has all the understood speech from the media audio file.

You could even have the recognition engine monitor for "bad words" during the scan if the audio file, and omit them, or use some sort of stream reader to find them after the file is created.

Each recognition would need to be time stamped.

The time stamp would signal the Media Browser API to mute the audio for that frame of the movie.

I am not saying it would be perfect, and it would be a really finicky app to make, but... That is how I would attempt it.

FlyGuyAZ

Interesting idea. My 2 1/2 year old calls everybody a f*cker but we have no idea where it came from. I have the parental controls set on MB but perhaps it snuck in somewhere and I've seen a movie so many times I don't realize it's in there. 

Adventures in Babysitting was nixed because she says "Don't f*ck with the babysitter" on the train  :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
legallink

Ahh. I remember bringing up EDL support a while ago. There are a few resources out there already for EDL's already out there.

My purpose was similar but to the next level of not just bleeping words but adding the ability to skip scenes as well.

Edited by legallink