The death of Plasma TV

Koleckai Silvestri

Cheesegeezer

Pioneer Kuro!!

Nuff said.. The one and only conquering plasma... And even they got out the market years ago.

Plasma doesnt suit HTPC users, its my opinion but a valid one.

Have you physically seen those curved Samsung OLED sets? They disgust me. But each to their own.

I'm throwing you a like based on info provided, not on the demise of the tech disappearing. Another sad day for TV's

CBers

I had a Pioneer plasma at my old house and had an excellent picture, but my new Samsung LED 3D TV is far better, but the there was 7 years in between releases.

If it's the end, it's a real shame.

fantaxp7

It is really a shame.

Same thing is happening to high end audio...and not really even that high end. I'm talking about even having a receiver.

I'm really looking forward to OLED though with 4K and HDMI 2.0 (HDMI 2.0 receivers coming this fall). Now that will make me forget about the death of plasma.

Lee

The curved sets are no good for on the wall, BUT I saw one on a demo at the gadget show and the viewable angles were amazing! Looked much better from the side than the flat screens which i found REALLY strange....

Sent by lumia 1020 & Tapatalk

fantaxp7

My Panny Vierra 70" plasma is still the best TV I've ever seen.

The LG OLED they have at best buy on display is very impressive as far as black level, color and contrast...Not worth investing in that technology yet, but it is one of the best pictures I have ever seen. Better than my panasonic ST60 or any of the higher end models.

AdrianW

I'm so glad I bought a Samsung F8500 plasma recently to replace my ancient Fujitsu. Hopefully it will last me a long time, and hopefully by then there will be something better than LCD to replace it.

Deihmos

I was checking out plasmas recently and they were heavier, pulled more power and didn't get as bright. The cheaper models didn't look that good either. Probably some reasons why they failed.

Edited by Deihmos

A8HTPC

I love my plasma and I think plasmas are great for HTPC users. the only reason they are being tossed away is because bigger is always better right? People want bigger screens and plasmas just can't do it without distoration. 50" is as big as you can go really and even that is probably as big as you want to go with plasma. I have a 42". Manufactures can't get the plasma pixels smalll enough to keep the HD resolution at larger sizes. Also with 4K being the new upcoming king, plasma would never touch 4k for the reason I listed and the TV would take over 1000 watts!  My 42" consumes over 300 watts. 

More on this.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-plasma-201311133417.htm

Pioneer Kuro!!

Nuff said.. The one and only conquering plasma... And even they got out the market years ago.

Plasma doesnt suit HTPC users, its my opinion but a valid one.

Have you physically seen those curved Samsung OLED sets? They disgust me. But each to their own.

I'm throwing you a like based on info provided, not on the demise of the tech disappearing. Another sad day for TV's

OLED is the only other TV I would by for Home Theater. LCD/LED just plain suck for contrast, but consume less power, small pixels and more HD at larger screen sizes.

DeeMac

I have been itching to purchase a new tv but never did, because my CT34wx50 always worked and couldnt be beat.  Yep, its a HD 34" Flatscreen CRT which weighs approx 3 tons, and does not have HDMI!  Only came with Components for HD input, besides the crappy svideo connections....and it has no tuner... but whatevers.

Neither Plasma, nor LCD, nor LED or OLED could really outshine (pun intended) the display of this TV - so it really wasnt worth it to buy into "new" tech like 3D... and by the time the tech came down in price to affordable levels, something new was on the horizon.... Anyone remember SED TV?

CRTs ultimately have the BEST viewing angle, the best contrast, are brighter, little to no motion blur, no backlight leak and whatnot.... and if calibrated properly beat the pants off LCD. And it keeps me warm in the winter, lol!

I admittedly do have some negatives, (3 really but the 3rd doesnt matter because I'm not sitting 6" from my screen).

1- It's HUGE/HEAVY

2- its A Power Drain - I think the cost to run this tv is about the cost of a good 50" LED over a few years (which is really the tech cycle).

3- I have 1080i or 480P... but I use 1080i just fine.

My TV survived the draconian DRM of HDMI and DVI-D.  I do not need a new tv just to watch Bluray.  I laughed at the forced obsolescence of the industry.

How did I get my prehistoric TV to accept HDMI and the dreaded DRM of HDCP without HDMI?     ssshhhh.....                h t t p://www.hdfury.com

One day, when my tv dies or I move, I'll get the best TV then, but for now, they hype only works to shrink your wallet.

Oh, and all those smart tv's are convenient, but my HTPC outdoes them all....

Did you know if you don't accept a license in a smart tv, you are locked out of it's smart features?

Poof. There goes your privacy, folks.... h t t ps://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140511/17430627199/lg-will-take-smart-out-your-smart-tv-if-you-dont-agree-to-share-your-viewing-search-data-with-third-parties.shtml

Stay thrifty, my friends!

AdrianW

I love my plasma and I think plasmas are great for HTPC users. the only reason they are being tossed away is because bigger is always better right? People want bigger screens and plasmas just can't do it without distoration. 50" is as big as you can go really and even that is probably as big as you want to go with plasma. I have a 42". Manufactures can't get the plasma pixels smalll enough to keep the HD resolution at larger sizes. Also with 4K being the new upcoming king, plasma would never touch 4k for the reason I listed and the TV would take over 1000 watts!  My 42" consumes over 300 watts. 

More on this.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-plasma-201311133417.htm

OLED is the only other TV I would by for Home Theater. LCD/LED just plain suck for contrast, but consume less power, small pixels and more HD at larger screen sizes.

How did you come to that conclusion? Many plasmas come (came) in sizes up to 64" or 65" - my new one is 64" and it looks far better than nearly all LCDs - and it has no distortion. Why would a plasma ever have distortion?

For a while I had a 32" widescreen CRT - and that thing had distortion galore, and I'm sure that was due to the earth's magnetism - if yo had subtitles at the bottom, they were impossible to get perfectly lined up with the bottom of the screen.

The samsung F8500 is also extremely bright - the intro for one particular sitcom almost physically hurts as it's so bright. 

Sure plasmas use a bit more power than LCDs - but they've improved a lot since the early models. And I'd rather spend $20 or so extra a year in power bills and have the superior picture quality over LCD.

techywarrior

I have a 42". Manufactures can't get the plasma pixels smalll enough to keep the HD resolution at larger sizes.

That makes no sense. At the same resolution a larger screen size would have larger pixels... not smaller. This is part of the reason that very large screens at very close distances is worse then at the "proper" distance.

@@techywarrior the guy didn't understand the article he posted which is quite comical. Several called him on it already.

Plasma uses contained cells within 4 walls, a box, to create the lighting effect. Refraction eats up a percentage of light that gets seen by the viewer. Using smaller cells is required for 4k. These smaller cells must be brighter to output the same light as their larger cousin because the smaller things get the more you lose to refraction. This would consume twice the power to light the smaller cells as brightly as their larger cousin. This was the argument he was after. :)

The big kicker that kills plasma is laws that govern what wattages televisions can consume.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

techywarrior

I was never a big proponent of plasma. The contrast ratio was always nice but early on there was concern about burn in (which turned out to be unjustified just like color fading on rear projections). By the time I was in the market to replace my rear projection plasmas were already on the decline.

OLED looks promising but the market and my needs don't line up again. I'm hoping that Mitsubishi can perfect, or at least commercialize, their laser TV prototype. That looked really interesting. From what I remember it used a laser instead for the backlighting. There were other things too but overall it used very little power, had great contrast ratios, and cost a fortune :)

A8HTPC

I was never a big proponent of plasma. The contrast ratio was always nice but early on there was concern about burn in (which turned out to be unjustified just like color fading on rear projections). By the time I was in the market to replace my rear projection plasmas were already on the decline.

OLED looks promising but the market and my needs don't line up again. I'm hoping that Mitsubishi can perfect, or at least commercialize, their laser TV prototype. That looked really interesting. From what I remember it used a laser instead for the backlighting. There were other things too but overall it used very little power, had great contrast ratios, and cost a fortune :)

This is one thing I don't like about my plasma is the image retention. Though its only apparent with still images. Movies will erase the retained image and my Panasonic also has a white bar wash setting. Basically just scans vertical white bars horizontally across the screen and gets rid of everything. I don't use that often. Think it has a lot to do with how hot those particular pixels are compared to the rest. I don't ever actually have a permanently burned image in my TV.

Edited by A8HTPC

gthrift

I love my Panasonic plasma in my bedroom except in the summer when the heat it puts off really warms the room up.  I've never had a problem with the burn in and the picture quality is fantastic.

Deathsquirrel

Never liked the plasma sets.  The power and heat issues were unappealing to me.  I love my older rear projection DLP set but that's dead tech too.  For our main TV we have an LCD unit, just like practically everyone else.  I fee for you plasma fans, I went though this years ago. ;)

Sadly to see this go, was hoping to see more support for it, but I recall one company was pushing update for it, forgot what company was it.

FlyGuyAZ

I love the plasma for the viewing angles. It's next to my PC in the den though and it emits an annoying buzz that can be hear reverberating off the wall next to me. The heat is also noticeable.