Why is multi version function not working?

jsc1205

jsc1205

I'm having an issue trying to get 2 versions of a same TV show episode to work.  Using the instructions I found online, it says to name the episode like this:

s01e01 - Version 1.mkv

s01e01 - Version 2.mkv

Problem is, the episodes show up separated as 2 different episodes and labeled exactly how the file is labeled, i.e. "s01e01 - Version 1".   

I have played around with this a couple of times but its not working at all so thought I would post it on here to let the experts help.  Would like to know the same thing for movies while we are at it....

Thanks!

jsc1205

Hi there, can you please give an exact example? Thanks.

In this case the main folder is set as:  TV Shows/Three Stooges/Season 1953

The files are set as:

s20e05 - Standard Version

s20e05 - 3D Version

I even tried labeling the files as s1953e05 - Standard Version as an example and still have the same issue.  As seen in the screen shot below, episode 5 shows at the top of the season as 2 separate episodes.  They are not labeled like all the others as you can see with episode 1 being under these episode 5 versions.  I cannot get Emby to recognize these 2 episodes in line with the rest and grouped into one episode with 2 different versions.

5e8bc09ec01e9_example.jpg

Happy2Play

In this case the main folder is set as:  TV Shows/Three Stooges/Season 1953

The files are set as:

s20e05 - Standard Version

s20e05 - 3D Version

I even tried labeling the files as s1953e05 - Standard Version as an example and still have the same issue.  As seen in the screen shot below, episode 5 shows at the top of the season as 2 separate episodes.  They are not labeled like all the others as you can see with episode 1 being under these episode 5 versions.  I cannot get Emby to recognize these 2 episodes in line with the rest and grouped into one episode with 2 different versions.

5e8bc09ec01e9_example.jpg

You can see from the image that those 2 episodes are unidentified just by their display name.  So I would assume they do not have any/or proper metadata.

Happy2Play

Also a mismatch Season 1953 season folder with items names S20E05.  Can not be both

jsc1205

You can see from the image that those 2 episodes are unidentified just by their display name.  So I would assume they do not have any/or proper metadata.

Those two episodes are a standard version and 3D version of the episode called Spooks under the TV Show, Three Stooges, Season 1953, Episode 5.  The reason it is showing up like that is because I have labeled BOTH versions exactly how the Emby instructions say to handle multi versions of the same episode (as in s1953e05 - 3D Version).  Emby is NOT scraping it correctly.  If I leave the file as s1953e05, it scrapes it just fine.....BUT there are 2 versions.  So what do I have to name the files to get it to scrape correctly and both to show up under the same episode?

Edited by jsc1205

Happy2Play

Those two episodes are a standard version and 3D version of the episode called Spooks under the TV Show, Three Stooges, Season 1953, Episode 5.  The reason it is showing up like that is because I have labeled BOTH versions exactly how the Emby instructions say to handle multi versions of the same episode (as in s1953e05 - 3D Version).  Emby is NOT scraping it correctly.  If I leave the file as s1953e05, it scrapes it just fine.....BUT there are 2 versions.  So what do I have to name the files to get it to scrape correctly and both to show up under the same episode?

Would need to see the server log but best guess would be TVDB issues, but TMDB uses that same naming also.  What episode providers do you have enabled?  What metadata is shown in Edit metadata for those items?

Sorry if they scrape fine what is the issue?  You should have version drop down within the episode.

5e8bd589b2aac_multi.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

Yea you're definitely asking for trouble by giving the season folder a different number than the season number of the episode. That's going to create some unknown here, meaning, it's not something we're testing so we don't know what kind of quirks it might cause.

jsc1205

Would need to see the server log but best guess would be TVDB issues, but TMDB uses that same naming also.  What episode providers do you have enabled?  What metadata is shown in Edit metadata for those items?

Sorry if they scrape fine what is the issue?  You should have version drop down within the episode.

5e8bd589b2aac_multi.jpg

I FINALLY got it to work.  Think it had something to do with Emby looking at TMDB to scrape.  When I looked at the metadata manager for this particular episode, I noticed that TVDB is only listed, not TMDB.  So just ensured that the ID for the episode showed up for TVDB and it worked.  

So is TMDB not supported for tv shows in Emby?

So is TMDB not supported for tv shows in Emby?

It certainly is supported, but again:

Yea you're definitely asking for trouble by giving the season folder a different number than the season number of the episode. That's going to create some unknown here, meaning, it's not something we're testing so we don't know what kind of quirks it might cause.

pwhodges

I have done this for several seasons in one show that TVDB has stupid assignments for (-monogatari series) and it works fine for me.  Although I know it's not supported, I'd probably be a little upset if it actually stopped working!

Paul

Happy2Play

In the end all you need is same Season number and Episode number in metadata.