HQ Transcode - Double Frame Rate

unisoft

unisoft

Hello,

Can we have a server (or client) side menu option for "HQ Transcode - Double Frame Rate"?

At the moment, when doing a TRANSCODE, Emby incorrectly deinterlaces interlaced TV content matching the same frame rate. This is wrong, because you lose detail and video that was recorded live, or in a studio using video (rather than film) can look washed out, and has noticeable motion judder on camera movements, and scrolling credits.

To avoid this and give as good quality as the original interlaced version, you just need to double the frame rate. For example, NTSC to 59.94/60p or for PAL 50p. Doubling the frame rate preserves all the quality. I don't think its much of an overhead on 1080i or 576i sources.

Be nice if Emby was probably the only system to get it right rather than be like the rest of them...

Edited by unisoft

unisoft

Hmm read through....

So there is a concern that 1080i50 to 108050p and 1080i60 to 108060p might drag down resources.

There is a way round this though for Transcoding:

1. Convert Standard Definition (SD) 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC) to double frame rate (50p/60p) as this will not bog down slower processors.
  2. For HD interlaced content, offer 1280x720 50p for PAL 1080i50 content and 1280x720 60p for NTSC 1080i60 content. It's still going to look better than transcoding an interlaced video to progressive using the same frame rate. This is what the BBC do with their catch up player "iPlayer" and other terrestrial broadcasters catch-up apps in UK.

You could have a tick option for "Double Frame Rate for smooth playback" and then list as text what this means if you needed to explain it.

Edited by unisoft

The problem that makes this not so easy is that it has the potential to produce an output format that some devices won't support such as Roku. That's why it's not just a quick setting we can throw into the server or we would have done that already.