Live TV Transcoding isn't providing smooth 60fps over WAN

dragonbytes

dragonbytes

hi, so when I am on my LAN, i am able to stream my Live TV in it's native format of 1080i @ 60fps mpeg2 and the video is smooth like it should be. but im away from home, and when i do live tv, it needs to transcode to go over the internet. the problem is instead of giving me some kind of equivalent 60fps smooth video, I end up with h264 1080p @ 30 frames per second. this renders live sports unbearable to watch as its a bit choppy. is there any way to tweak the transcoder for proper 60 fps frame rate? I could not find any technical settings in the emby server settings. any help or advice is appreciated

- dragonbytes

dragonbytes

UPDATE: i've done a little more research, and it seems this comes down to the deinterlacing method. when moving from interlaced to progressive, 1080i60 converts to 1080p30. the problem is the default deinterlacing is not doing a good job at smooth transition between the fields/frames such that the video looks jittery. is there a way to customize the deinterlacing method and/or quality? thank you

Hi, there's currently no option to customize it, but i expect that we will probably add it in the future. thanks.

• Like 1

dragonbytes

Hi, there's currently no option to customize it, but i expect that we will probably add it in the future. thanks.

@@softworkz thank you. i pay for Emby Premier every month and I think you guys have a great product. i'm sure it's complicated supporting so many different formats, containers, protocols, and on all kinds of different platforms etc. sports is just one of those things you NEED smooth 60 fields per second. what is the recommended solution for watching 1080i60 mpeg2 live tv content via the internet for the smoothest possible frame rate? does increasing h264 quality setting help with that? does choosing higher bitrates on the player allow for smoother deinterlacing of 1080i60 content? thanks again

• 2 months later...
roberto188

@dragonbytes

I have been asking for this option, for about 2 years now. They had it back in the version 3 servers, but ever since the version 4 update, there is no option to transcode to 60fps. Doubtful it will ever show up. 

• 7 months later...
roberto188

Hey any update on this? Been about 3 years since this previous feature was requested to be added back. Still running version 3 server because if this one debilitating bug. 

You might be able to install softwork'z diagnostics plugin and use it to do a string replacement of the ffmpeg command line to change it to what you want.

Jason'sEmby

Are you guys using Nvidia Shield's? Does it still need to transcode over wan on a different client device if using the shield?

Edited by Jason'sEmby

roberto188
13 hours ago, Luke said:

You might be able to install softwork'z diagnostics plugin and use it to do a string replacement of the ffmpeg command line to change it to what you want.

Thanks! I’ll look into this! 

roberto188

@dragonbytes 

Install the latest server. Download the Diagnostics plugin. Go to the plugin and where you have the option to "replace text" replace "yadif@f1=mode=send_frame" with

"yadif@f1=mode=send_field". This will transcode 30fps interlaced to 60fps progressive. If you are like me and have an NVIDIA card doing the work replace "yadif_cuda@f1" with "yadif_cuda@f1=mode=send_field"

Problem solved! Thanks so @Luke and @softworkz!

roberto188

@softworkzis there anyway to have the plug-in keep the “replace text” when the computer restarts. When I reboot my server every morning I have to go back and manually type in the replace text boxes. Let me know. Thanks! 

The Diagnostics Plugin is meant to identify problems and find solutions. 

But it's not meant to be a solution itself. We want to avoid to become a software where you need to read through hundreds of posts to find a solution to a problem where the solution is something like having to enter some cryptic stuff into a configuration file or somewhere else. Most likely, you've seen such software and understand what I mean.

Such things can also quickly become difficult to support, even though all non-standard settings (from the Diagnostics Plugin) are indicated in the ffmpeg logs. But we need to avoid to get into a situation where users would be "trading" their individual "mods" and everybody would do his own thing.

The intended procedure for a case like yours (having found a solution by using the Diagnostics Plugin) is to look into that case and see whether it would make sense to change the regular server in a way to integrate this.

I'm pretty busy these days, so I'm not really able to say something specific to your cases, but we'll look into it!

@Luke ?

roberto188

@softworkzGot it thanks. I would make a simple suggestion. I see no reason NOT to change all the yadif parameters to send field, rather than the default send frame. Everything that gets transcoded is transcoded to progressive format, so the default in the server should ALWAYS be send field. Progressive sources will maintain their frame rates, and interlaced ones will go to the appropriate double frame rate. This should be hardcoded into the next server update. Thanks!

Edited by roberto188
  • Agree 1

It's not that easy - there are many issues when doing so (unconditionally). It's tricky to find out the conditions under which this can be enabled. 

We will revisit this in a while in the context of the upcoming major TV feature update.

• 1 year later...
staticmotion
On 2/16/2021 at 8:56 PM, roberto188 said:

@dragonbytes 

Install the latest server. Download the Diagnostics plugin. Go to the plugin and where you have the option to "replace text" replace "yadif@f1=mode=send_frame" with

"yadif@f1=mode=send_field". This will transcode 30fps interlaced to 60fps progressive. If you are like me and have an NVIDIA card doing the work replace "yadif_cuda@f1" with "yadif_cuda@f1=mode=send_field"

Problem solved! Thanks so @Luke and @softworkz!

I've been trying this replace text trick - and it doesn't seem to be working. I see from the log that the text has been changed but it's clearly not doubling the frame rate and sending a frame per field. I'm on server 4.7.0.32 - has something changed in that?

• 2 weeks later...
unisoft

its about time emby devs offered this as an option. Default = same frame rate, progressive or Double frame rate progressive as options under Playback or server side.

That way people with older TVs that cant handle 50/60 fps can have 25/29.97 fps still. Maybe only direct play stuff is supported by it if it makes it easier.

These options are available in jellyfin currently. Given that jellyfin is still open source, would it be possible for emby to just take a peek at their code and implement the same features?

They also have more options available for tonemapping which would be great to see in emby.

1 hour ago, lukeoslavia said:

They also have more options available for tonemapping which would be great to see in emby.

Have you seen out tone mapping options (which are currently only accessible via the diagnostics plugin)?

staticmotion
On 4/5/2022 at 7:19 PM, unisoft said:

its about time emby devs offered this as an option. Default = same frame rate, progressive or Double frame rate progressive as options under Playback or server side.

That way people with older TVs that cant handle 50/60 fps can have 25/29.97 fps still. Maybe only direct play stuff is supported by it if it makes it easier.

Users have been asking for this for at least five years... something so simple! The current default is visually-devestating to interlaced footage  

• Agree 1

staticmotion
On 3/24/2022 at 10:57 PM, staticmotion said:

I've been trying this replace text trick - and it doesn't seem to be working. I see from the log that the text has been changed but it's clearly not doubling the frame rate and sending a frame per field. I'm on server 4.7.0.32 - has something changed in that?

Had the time to try this again... Here's the log with the replace text in place, but there's no difference to how it's actually deinterlacing

ffmpeg-transcode-cf2af4bb-24f2-4886-bbe6-115f0c9ae64f_1.txt