FR: Server: Auto Delete Watched after "N" Days

trusselo

Is it not possible to have this as a separate pluggin whereby you can select which TV shows to include/exclude? Perhaps whether to not include Movies or Concerts at all too?

If (as some have inferred) it has to be in Emby core, then defaulting this feature to OFF should mitigate all concerns? In any case, instead of "delete" the "move" command could be implemented to a dumping area which could then be deleted at a later date, or just left there for manual deletion for the uber paranoid.

Don't really see any concerns which can't be mitigated. I wish I could just write the pluggin myself as the logic seems simple, I just can't code it! :)

Edited by Kurosh

Yes, it would be possible (and safer) for this to be a plug-in.

As for all of you who are assuming that this feature is only needed for Emby recorded items, I'll just point out that the feature request pre-dates the DVR feature in Emby itself :).  It needs to work for all content.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
sfatula

Yes, it would be possible (and safer) for this to be a plug-in.

As for all of you who are assuming that this feature is only needed for Emby recorded items, I'll just point out that the feature request pre-dates the DVR feature in Emby itself :). It needs to work for all content.

Maybe. If you split it out from the "timer", then it's going to not make much sense. Dvr content is one feature that can be done without the other, which can be a separate feature. Surely you are not suggesting the non dvr piece would be anywhere near as popular as the dvr piece?

My concern is you try to do too much and ignore the dvr users, or make it non simple for that use case. This is really (to me) a basic dvr feature.

I'd split the requests unless you have come up with an elegant combined system that allows for definition while making a new series timer request.

If someone is manually adding content to Emby outside of dvr, it's incumbent on them to manage the space. But if emby is adding the content (dvr), emby needs to be able to manage it based on rules.

Edited by sfatula

On the DVR side we already have the "Keep x number of episodes" feature.  I realize that isn't the exact same thing but it is a similar way to manage these recordings.

Again, this feature request was made before we even had a DVR so the desire is for it to work across the board.  I do believe it is more useful on the DVR side though.

sfatula

So, I could create a new simpler feature request for dvr only? Yeah, keep x episodes is not the same at all. The 30+ summer shows never go away. 

• 2 months later...
Kurosh

Hello Emby devs,

Any news / progress on this one yet? If (as suspected) not, could you possibly say what needs to happen for this to be taken up? I can see it was raised in 2014 so clearly it's not a priority but would like to know if there's any hope for this feature.

Edited by Kurosh

Kurosh

Yes there is hope. We are going as fast as we can. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks, it's good news that you can at least confirm that there still is hope for this feature :)

Appreciate you're efforts and am aware of your outputs / updates / maintenance. However, because this feature still lacks I recently transitioned over to Plex Server but I don't like the setup at all by comparison. It's much more resource intensive, less modular and customisable, and also found it to be less performant on the clients. Though it does have this feature, albeit it's long-winded to get working. Anyway after weighing everything up I decided to come back to Emby and manually workaround the lack of media housekeeping until this feature is hopefully implemented.

Long live Emby. Glad to be back :)

Edited by Kurosh

• 3 weeks later...
Castor234

I can't wait for this feature.  Personally, I would like to delete TV episodes of certain shows that my mother has watched.  I don't care how long the show has been there, or if anyone else watched it. 

I think this might work best as an integrated feature.

I would envision on the main show landing page. 

In the menu, have an option for 'episode management'. 

Then you could have actions, like 'delete' , and triggers like 'when watched by specific user(s)' or 'delete when watched by any user' or 'delete after X-days'.

That way I could set it to delete NCIS when my mother has watched an episode, but to not delete Picard until my mother, myself, and my brother in law have all watched it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
phirestalker

I second the per show and when watched by options. There could be a check box for each user and the episode will be deleted after all checked users have watched it.

• 2 months later...
tomlepk@gmail.com

I just set a script to delete anything over a month old in specific folders upon reboot (which is scheduled once a week), if it is not watched then too bad.

Awesome program!

12 hours ago, Hun said:

Any updates for development progress on this feature?

Not yet but it's something we plan to add in future updates. thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
MagnusL3D
On 9/26/2020 at 4:55 AM, tomlepk@gmail.com said:

I just set a script to delete anything over a month old in specific folders upon reboot (which is scheduled once a week), if it is not watched then too bad.

Awesome program!

How since this feature apparently is not happening...I mean 6 years on the todo list and it's planned for the future ? 

• Like 1

Michael Poulsen
16 minutes ago, MagnusL3D said:

How since this feature apparently is not happening...I mean 6 years on the todo list and it's planned for the future ? 

Just use this, works great

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/77658-emby-media-clean-delete-watched-video/

trusselo
On 22/10/2020 at 04:25, MagnusL3D said:

On 22/10/2020 at 04:42, Michael Poulsen said:

Considering my emby server is running in an Unraid Docker.... rebooting the system is not something I want to do.
This server runs alot more than emby....

Threadripper 1950x on a Zenith Extreme Mobo...  32gb ram, 30 TB storage 86% full.
Storage, home automation, media serving, security NVR, network routing via PFsense...

Its not a thing that you "reboot"...

I guess i could put the script on a cron schedule... but do i want to give some script permission to delete anything on my array?  No.
Emby docker only has access to its necessary directories...  It would be safer to be IN emby.

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 1

sfatula
2 hours ago, trusselo said:

Considering my emby server is running in an Unraid Docker.... rebooting the system is not something I want to do.

I feel your pain and agree. I run so many things on my server too. Probably several dozen systems.

Michael Poulsen

same here, just add a directory to the docker and make a cron job that runs the python script. no need to restart everything only the emby docker image

8 hours ago, trusselo said:

Threadripper 1950x on a Zenith Extreme Mobo...  32gb ram, 30 TB storage 86% full.
Storage, home automation, media serving, security NVR, network routing via PFsense...

Its not a thing that you "reboot"...

I guess i could put the script on a cron schedule... but do i want to give some script permission to delete anything on my array?  No.
Emby docker only has access to its necessary directories...  It would be safer to be IN emby.

If you are referring to my script that was linked to, there is no need to reboot anything.  The script is run against the Emby server itself and relies exclusively on the Emby APIs to do everything including the removal of files.  The script does not need access to the underlying array, or to even be run withing the same docker/server.

The script uses the API to detect watched shows, and then based off of time and if they are not favourited, will do an API call to Emby to remove the file.  If your docker is setup with RO media folders, or the permissions for Emby to delete are blocked then the script will not work.

Also, you can set it up in the config to not delete files, it will just detect the files it would have deleted and list them.

trusselo
On 30/10/2020 at 04:15, jpc82 said:

If you are referring to my script that was linked to, there is no need to reboot anything.  The script is run against the Emby server itself and relies exclusively on the Emby APIs to do everything including the removal of files.  The script does not need access to the underlying array, or to even be run withing the same docker/server.

The script uses the API to detect watched shows, and then based off of time and if they are not favourited, will do an API call to Emby to remove the file.  If your docker is setup with RO media folders, or the permissions for Emby to delete are blocked then the script will not work.

Also, you can set it up in the config to not delete files, it will just detect the files it would have deleted and list them.

oh now that sounds cool.

thanks

• 2 months later...
coserver

Adding feedback that would like to see a feature for removing watched content after x days automatically.

-Disabled by default of course

-Enabled per library

-Could be user specific (not required for my use case)

• 1 year later...
chenks

is this still something that isn't natively supported?
my intention is to mover over from plex to emby, but i use the "Delete episodes after playing" option on a per tv show basis that plex has and wouldn't want to lose this function.

I also believe new episode that are added after the previous episode has been deleted won't show up on the "continue watching" row on the homescreen, which would also be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...
mordant80

I too was hopeful to switch to Emby from Plex but this is the one feature holding me back unfortunately.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Capitano
On 1/1/2021 at 5:02 PM, coserver said:

Adding feedback that would like to see a feature for removing watched content after x days automatically.

-Disabled by default of course

-Enabled per library

-Could be user specific (not required for my use case)

+1