TS-251D - how to enable hardware transcoding?

philb0

philb0

Hi,

I'm trying to get hardware transcoding working. From what I understand the Intel Celeron J4005 (Gemini Lake) CPU supports Intel Quick Sync so it should be capable of it, but from my transcode logs (attached) it appears to be only using software transcoding which is maxing the CPU during playback.

Under my Transcode Advanced settings I can only see options to use VAAPI. I've looked at the Emby linux documentation for hardware acceleration but I'm unsure how to install the Intel Media SDK for QNAP (4.4.1.1216).

Is installing the Intel Media SDK what I should be looking at? If so, does anyone have any instructions for how to install it on a QNAP?

Thanks,

Phil

post-610934-0-29507900-1585053300_thumb.png

ffmpeg-transcode-555a78e8-73a1-4721-a1ba-5374066b0853_1.txt

Hi, try turning off the subtitles prior to playback and see if you get better results. This example is having to burn in subtitles with transcoding which makes it a more difficult one.

philb0

I've disabled subtitles from the Subtitle menu, and "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" is unchecked from the Transcoding menu. Same CPU usage.

Anything else I can try? Is there any way to get hardware transcoding working?

Sometimes you're going to see high cpu usage even when the gpu is used. That's just the way it goes. Depending on what your gpu and vaapi support, some parts of the process will have to be done with the CPU. Can you attach an ffmpeg log example of this?

philb0

Hi,

Log attached. I can see from this log, and the one attached to my first post, that both appear to show only software encoding is being used which makes me think it's not enabled correctly.

I don't know if this is related - I've tried to use the Conversions menu to convert the files ahead of time, but they stay "queued" and are never processed.

ffmpeg-transcode-1165f39d-c33d-46ea-8679-39eb4948d85e_1.txt

philb0

It definitely supports HEVC but I'm not clear whether it's 10-bit or not, details below. Regarding the Conversion - I've played around with the Scheduled Tasks (on startup, every 15 min) but with no luck.

I've also attached the hardware detection log which may have some useful info in it, unfortunately it doesn't mean too much to me.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/uhd_graphics/600

[Edit] Goldmont Plus (Gen9.5) Hardware Accelerated Video Capabilities Codec Encode Decode Profiles Levels Max Resolution Profiles Levels Max Resolution MPEG-2 (H.262) Main High 1080p (FHD) Main Main, High 1080p (FHD) MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) High, Main 5.1 2160p (4K) Main, High, MVC, Stereo 5.1 2160p (4K) JPEG/MJPEG Baseline - 16k x 16k Baseline Unified 16k x 16k HEVC (H.265) Main 5.1 2160p (4K) Main 5.1 2160p (4K) VC-1 ✘ Advanced, Main, Simple 3, High, Simple 3840x3840 VP8 Unified Unified N/A 0 Unified 1080p VP9 0   2160p (4K) 0, 2 Unified 2160p (4K)

hardware_detection-63720720382.txt

That looks to me like it does not support 10-bit hevc, but @@softworkz may have better insight.

@@cayars can please jump in regarding the conversion feature. thanks.

@@philb0 - Do you have an Emby Premiere subscription?

The VAAPI codecs are not even considered as I can see from the ffmpeg logs. If it would be about insufficient capabilities, then it would be visible in the ffmpeg logs.

philb0

ah, no, during initial playback via the Firestick Emby app a message pops up briefly saying I'm in trial mode - so I assumed that meant I'd have access to Premium features.

@@philb0 Emby has a cool feature that can run in the background and convert your media to a format that is compatible with your clients.

This knowledge base articles explain it and how to use it: https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001849018

Essentially it does what you could consider a "transcode" one time no matter how many times a file is played.  You can keep the original file or replace it.  This is a great feature to use for new releases you know will be popular and played back multiple times but want to keep a rise resolution blueray version.

There are a lot of options to set this up and use it to fill many different admin needs and is worth taking a look at.

philb0

Hi @@cayars, thanks for the link. I don't want to confuse this thread with two topics - but in case they happen to be related - the Conversion doesn't work for me as mentioned in an earlier post - they stay in the queued state. I've attached some details.

Can I take @@softworkz comment "If it would be about insufficient capabilities, then it would be visible in the ffmpeg logs" to mean that hardware transcoding is possible with my QNAP - but it's a case of getting Emby configured correctly?

Thanks all

embyserver.txt

post-610934-0-77346000-1585215377_thumb.png

post-610934-0-20811200-1585215385_thumb.png

I think your problem is related to having hardware settings turned on but not having Emby Premiere active.  There is no "free" trial for the server per say.

There is the basic server that is always free and can always be used this way and there is an extended set of server features (and client) that can be used when you have a premier license (monthly, yearly or lifetime).

@@Luke, @@softworkz can you comment on the above comment I just made in regards to these issues?

philb0

I can confirm that Emby Premiere is required for hardware Transcoding and Conversions to work.

There is no "trial" period, despite the message displayed via the Firestick Emby app saying so, and there is nothing in the Emby Server dashboard that explicitly disables any of the above features. You are free to play with the settings despite them having no effect.

Thanks.

Yes this is an area we need to improve so that the server provides a proper trial. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
shdwkeeper

Hi,

I'm trying to get hardware transcoding working. From what I understand the Intel Celeron J4005 (Gemini Lake) CPU supports Intel Quick Sync so it should be capable of it, but from my transcode logs (attached) it appears to be only using software transcoding which is maxing the CPU during playback.

Under my Transcode Advanced settings I can only see options to use VAAPI. I've looked at the Emby linux documentation for hardware acceleration but I'm unsure how to install the Intel Media SDK for QNAP (4.4.1.1216).

Is installing the Intel Media SDK what I should be looking at? If so, does anyone have any instructions for how to install it on a QNAP?

Thanks,

Phil

You ever get this figured out?  I don't see Intel Quicksync in my options either only VAAPI

You ever get this figured out?  I don't see Intel Quicksync in my options either only VAAPI

Have you tried VAAPI?

shdwkeeper

Have you tried VAAPI?

VAAPI is installed and selected by default. I was wanting to compare both, but only VAAPI is showing. Why is that?

shdwkeeper

I have a QNAP TVS-672N it has a Intel Core i3-8100T 4-core 3.1 GHz Processor, which means it has a compatible Intel Quicksync GPU, why is it not showing under the transcoding options in Emby?

Can we get this to work?  I know VAAPI is there, but why isn't Quicksync an option?

post-649658-0-85820600-1589918941_thumb.jpg