psxlover

Subtitles going out of sync when transcoding sound

Luke
14 hours ago, psxlover said:

ssa subtitles issue introduced in .79, so I guess I'll open another thread for it when I get the chance to gather logs (unless if someone else reproduces it/posts logs).

Regarding that, can you try this version? Thanks.

tizen.zip

psxlover

Hallo Luke. That didn't fix the ssa subtitle issue

Luke

Ok thanks for the info.

psxlover

As I posted in the other thread as well, the .ssa issue is fixed with the latest version.

Srt subtitles going out of sync when transcoding audio is still an issue though.

Luke

Thanks for the feedback. Still trying to chase down the subtitle sync.

psxlover

Just tried the video in a Mi Box (Android TV).

It also reports that it is a direct stream, with the transcode reason being "Unsupported audio" in stats for nerds, but there there is no desyncing.

What I noticed though, was that when I seek backwards, sometimes the picture stays frozen for a couple of seconds while the audio is playing, and the picture starts playing when the audio and subtitles reach the point where the picture is frozen. I'm guessing the video player used is freezing the video until the audio catches up, and in the mean time the subtitles are also synced. But the player of the TV doesn't do anything like that, it start playing from the point that the video is when seeking back (with the audio being in sync with the video), but the subtitles at where the video would have been if seeking was exactly 10s.

Comparing the timestamps in the .srt with what I see, the subtitles seem to show up on the correct time reported by the application.
So it seems it is indeed the application that is out of sync with the video.

psxlover

Another issue I noticed, is that if I cast the video from my phone to the TV using DLNA, the audio is not transcoded, resulting in the TV showing a message that the audio is not supported and that it will play without audio.

Also Android TV's stats for nerds contains more information about the transcode, showing information about both the original and the transcoded stream, along with the reason for the transcode, something that is missing from Samsung TV application's stats for nerds.

cayars
30 minutes ago, psxlover said:

Just tried the video in a Mi Box (Android TV).

It also reports that it is a direct stream, with the transcode reason being "Unsupported audio" in stats for nerds, but there there is no desyncing.

What I noticed though, was that when I seek backwards, sometimes the picture stays frozen for a couple of seconds while the audio is playing, and the picture starts playing when the audio and subtitles reach the point where the picture is frozen. I'm guessing the video player used is freezing the video until the audio catches up, and in the mean time the subtitles are also synced. But the player of the TV doesn't do anything like that, it start playing from the point that the video is when seeking back (with the audio being in sync with the video), but the subtitles at where the video would have been if seeking was exactly 10s.

Comparing the timestamps in the .srt with what I see, the subtitles seem to show up on the correct time reported by the application.
So it seems it is indeed the application that is out of sync with the video.

What happens if you turn off subs, then turn back on again midway through the movie?  Out of sync or in sync?

psxlover

Yes.

Even with the subtitles off, I can see that the same scene/line appears in different time between seeks.

cayars

Not sure what that means.  In sync or out of sync?

psxlover

Out of sync. As I said above (and also mentioned in the first post), it's the timestamp the application has that is out of sync, the subtitles just appear based on that timestamp.

And the same scene is displayed with different timestamp if I seek back and forth a few times.