New content found inconsistently in iOS clients, or not at all.

Starlionblue

Starlionblue

Added a new movie yesterday. It shows up in the web client, in MBC, in MBT and in the Windows Modern client.

- In MB for iPhone, it shows up if I search for it, but not in the list of movies.

- In MB for iPad on my iPad Mini, it shows up (correctly) in a collection, and in a search.

- In MB for iPad on my iPad, it is neither in the list, nor can it be be found with a search.

I have tried restarting MB for iPad. I've even done a soft reset on the iPad. I've restarted the server. Same result. This movie just doesn't show up.

Anyone else having the same issue?

What could I look for in the logs to help out with troubleshooting?

Cheesegeezer

Have you tried pulling down to refresh?

• Like 1

Starlionblue

Have you tried pulling down to refresh?

AHA!!! Don't I feel like an idiot now...  :wacko:

Cheesegeezer

AHA!!! Don't I feel like an idiot now...  :wacko:

Hahaha, thats the sort of things i forget to do! ;)

darwindeeds

The pull to refresh is not obvious, but eventually (in future updates) the media refresh will happen in the background. 

• Like 4

Starlionblue

The pull to refresh is not obvious, but eventually (in future updates) the media refresh will happen in the background. 

Yay!

Ghostm

Out of curiosity will this require me to have background app refresh turned on in ios?

If so I will turn it on when its added for mb3, i turned it off globally since it was draining battery.

Edited by Ghostm
  • Like 2

Cheesegeezer

Out of curiosity will this require me to have background app refresh turned on in ios?

If so I will turn it on when its added for mb3, i turned it off globally since it was draining battery.

Good point! @@darwindeeds, can you keep the pull to refresh in there also when you add the background refresh. I never have mine on for exactly the reason stated.

• Like 1

Ghostm

Or perhaps we could have it auto refresh when we open the app without pulling required? Or is that not a good idea?

Starlionblue

Or perhaps we could have it auto refresh when we open the app without pulling required? Or is that not a good idea?

The problem is that an iOS app is never closed if you don't explicitly close it with the double-home-swipe-up thing. It is just held in suspended animation.

I don't know if there's a trigger for when a user selects the app and it thus wakes up. That would work.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

The problem is that an iOS app is never closed if you don't explicitly close it with the double-home-swipe-up thing. It is just held in suspended animation.

I don't know if there's a trigger for when a user selects the app and it thus wakes up. That would work.

Yeah basically i think if it was auto refreshing all the time you would be basically draining your battery with no way to turn it off. Pull to refresh works and is isolated to the users request. Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Maybe @@darwindeeds can add in a notification to alert user when MBS has detected new media added and suggest a pull to refresh ;) Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 1

darwindeeds

Maybe @@darwindeeds can add in a notification to alert user when MBS has detected new media added and suggest a pull to refresh ;)

I doubt if I can control that, Media Browser server needs to send push notifications to the apple push server. It could be a future feature. The app could poll for notifications from the server but it won't be realtime, the app has to be open.

Cheesegeezer

I doubt if I can control that, Media Browser server needs to send push notifications to the apple push server. It could be a future feature. The app could poll for notifications from the server but it won't be realtime, the app has to be open.

I kinda thought that, because its a one time notification in the server! Basically you snooze you lose!! Lol. Maybe in the future Luke could have an xml or text file that senses changes and adds them, this way clients can update the user on any new media added and even removed media without the client having to be open and the user viewing it... Api me thinks!!

Edited by Cheesegeezer

DeeMac

How about adding a tutorial tip that pops up on the screen the first time you run the app and tells the user to pull down to refresh?

• Like 1