Question about IPv4 addresses

lifespeed

lifespeed

Am I the only one who has this problem?  All my PC clients take 20 - 30 seconds to start playing recorded video content like TV or movies.  Live TV starts playing almost immediately, by comparison.  This behavior is the same across 4 different PCs on the network running ET, both wired and wireless.  Also I have recently had problems with automatic refresh rate switching not going back to 60Hz after playing a 24Hz video.

One thing I should mention as I have had problems with some networked devices:  I have a dual-stack IPv6/IPv4 network, with a globally-routable IPv6 address on Emby Server and Emby Theater machines.  The domain name resolves to both v6 and v4.  I don't necessarily have any reason to believe this causes a problem for Emby, but I have seen it cause problems for other devices and software.

An example on the log file is the most recent playing of a recorded TV show.

embyserver.txt

lifespeed

Hi, are these completed recordings?

Yes, and by "recorded" I mean any video stored on the media server hard drives, movies as well.  Not just OTA TV recordings.

lifespeed

Is there any way to track down what might be happening here?  I'm guessing it is a server issue as all PC clients are very slow to start playing video from the server hard drives.

lifespeed

Is the video on the same drive that the server is installed on?

Yes, it has a fast local hardware RAID array.  This server has been very responsive in the past, but for the past couple months something it has been very slow to start playing videos.  Although now that I think about it, Android clients play videos immediately, while all the Emby Theater Windows clients lag badly.  Just checked a PC client using Firefox browser, only took 1 - 2 seconds to start playing.  So seems to be related to ET.

Edited by lifespeed

dansblackcat

I've noticed lately that quite a few of my TV episodes (not recorded TV) have a blank screen for a few seconds, I hear sound though.  Do you also get sound but no picture?

lifespeed

I've noticed lately that quite a few of my TV episodes (not recorded TV) have a blank screen for a few seconds, I hear sound though.  Do you also get sound but no picture?

No, I get the movie or TV show backdrop, overlaid with the dreaded spinning circle for 20 - 30 seconds.  Then the video plays as normal.

Edited by lifespeed

lifespeed

Are you referring to a backdrop video, or backdrop image?

A backdrop image.

lifespeed

To be strictly accurate, the backdrop image is displayed at the end of the 30 second wait, then the video starts.  While waiting for the spinning circle, it displays the same screen that is shown behind the "play next up" button.

Ok i can't imagine this will make a difference, but as a test, can you remove all backdrops for that item using the web interface, then play again and see if it is any different? Thanks.

lifespeed

No difference with the backdrop image removed.  I don't think the images have anything to do with it,  just what is on the screen while it stalls for 30 seconds.

lifespeed

After some investigation into network share paths in library settings, I saw that I had hard-coded IPv4 addresses for Emby Server left from before the network upgrade, which were not on the same subnet as the new network.  I changed these IPv4 addresses in the libraries to my FQDN - myserver.mydomain.com.  This seems to allow ET clients to begin playing videos very quickly.

I have no idea why it still worked, but slowly.  Or why Android clients were unaffected by this library misconfiguration.  I did not see any transcoding logs indicating this was how emby server remained functional, so am at a loss as how it could be broken, yet still work.

Now if I could just figure out why it doesn't switch back to 60FPS after finishing playing a 24FPS video.

Edit:  OK, saw this thread, apparently a known problem with refresh rate switching.

Edited by lifespeed