Movies display 2-column instead of 3

computerprep

computerprep

In Android Mobile, sorting all movies by anything other than title changes the width of the container by just enough that only 2 columns are displayed with a whole bunch of empty space on the right. Whenever the alphabetical letters are displayed, this does not happen.

Probably just a lack of tolerance, needs a few extra pixels of breathing room.

This doesn't happen on the web app, where the width of posters is fluid/responsive.

• Like 1

Hi there, yes I've seen this on a couple devices, still trying to chase down the reason for it. Thanks.

ForestZzz

Yeah, Pixel 3 XL(Android 10) also having this situation.

But my HuaWei mate20(Android 10)  display perfectly.

• Like 1

smilejoker

I have the same problem

I used galaxy S9+,Android 10

What's more, I find that sorting by name shows three columns, and sorting by add date shows only two columns

computerprep

Oh no!! This is happening in WebApp now too! Only in portrait mode. Just updated to the 4.4.x server.

• 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, vick1982 said:

was  there any solution to this... still happening for me on s10+

We're still looking into it. Thanks.

• Like 1

pwhodges

I still have this in a couple of libraries.  I can make it come and go by filtering different genres, but that's not fine enough for me to be able to identify which items give the problem.  I'm presuming that images of a particular aspect ratio cause a calculation to round differently so they no longer fit the assigned space.

Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
aaronsomek

Ditto, came to make the same post. I'm running stock Pixel4XL.

I noticed in landscape mode it fills the available width just fine (but this orientation isn't really suitable for browsing because of how cramped the layout is), but in portrait there is the aforementioned  two columns and dead space when browsing movies.

computerprep

@Luke, this appears to be pretty simple. It appears that the width of each poster is being set at a percentage of the overall available width, but something with the padding or the percentages used ends up adding up to more than 100% of the available width.

It doesn't affect movies when sorted by name (displaying the alphabet picker on the right), but if I'm sorted by any other variable (date added, release date, etc).

I tested this theory by adding this bit of custom css code to the admin settings, which changes the .portraitCard width to 33% of available width instead of 33.33333333333%:

@media (max-width: 40em) and (orientation: portrait) {
.portraitCard {
    width: 33% !important;
}}

And this solves the problem for web browsing on my phone. It doesn't solve the Android app (of course) so hardcoding a 33% width instead of the long decimal width should fix the Android app as well.

And it explains why this may affect some devices and not others. For instance, this affects my phone but not my computer, even if I shrink my browser window width to much smaller than my phone. Because my phone's html engine must calculate the 33.33......% width a little differently on its pixels than my computer does, and it might add up to something as simple as 100.000000001%, which will be too wide and force the third column to wrap to the next line.

pwhodges

It also depends on the images themselves - the exact size and aspect ratio; but I've not spent the time to try to isolate culprits in this, as I'm sure that checking the code to size and fit the images would be easier.

Paul

That's more of a dirty workaround. I can reproduce on a screen where the %'s are 20% even, so that wouldn't help there.