Initial Setup and Thumbnails

MP2020

MP2020

Hello,

My old media server ran out of room so I purchased a New Synology NAS and recently migrated all the files. One of the primary objectives for the new media server was the ability to show thumbnails on the players, primarily Roku units.  After extensive research I determined Emby was the best choice to use for the new media server. After purchasing the life time Premiere membership I set up the server. I am happy to report everything looks great, kids love the thumbnails and everything was relatively smooth to set up. I have 1 question that I would like some help with. This morning I looked through the nightly backup logs and I found the creation of *-320-10.bif files for every file. I assume these are thumbnail and media data files. When I was setting up the library I checked "Enable thumbnail image creation" and "Save thumbnails images into media folders". 

If these files are necessary to allow for the thumbnails then I can live with the extra files. If on the other hand, I can still get thumbnails to show up on the players and get read of these files I would prefer to do that. Given that everything is working perfectly and that I have thousands of files (approximately 3 terabytes) I would really prefer to know what the best option is Before I make changes. Can they be directed to a separate folder? If I uncheck the 2 boxes and remove the .bif files will this cause the thumbnails to no longer show up on the players?

I would appreciate you feedback.

Thanks

Michael

PenkethBoy

Welcome

bif's are used for chapter images and visual seaking in the video player

if you mean thumbnails as in the "poster" of say a movie - then no you dont need bif's

in your library setting for each library - set to chapter thumbnails rather than x seconds option

bif's will then not be generated for that library for new content

already created bif's will not be removed - do that from the os manually 

Have fun

• Like 1

FrostByte

I just use chapters myself.  For me the bifs just took up too much space and were being created too slowly on my NAS.  To me the chapters and the ability to skip forward/back from there is good enough.

Also, only one of the clients I use even supports bifs at this time.

MP2020

I appreciate your help, I deleted all the .bif's by command line and made the changes to the library. I am going to rescan and see how it goes.

Thanks