Different libraries their own DB

Dibbes

Dibbes

I'd like to suggest, since over the years I have gotten the feeling a proper database is not going to be implemented, to give every content type its own database instead of everything in one huge database.

My current database, after having removed audiobooks, comics, games and about 90% of my music library, is still over 1.5GB. The database frequently just locks when scanning or doing any other database related task. Often a restart of Emby is needed so that the server becomes usable again.

I think by spreading databases in a similar way that now the user, activity, library and the others are, servers with larger database will have a lot less database issues.

That means say goodbye to features that cross through multiple libraries, namely searching and many others

kanipek

I'd like to suggest, since over the years I have gotten the feeling a proper database is not going to be implemented, to give every content type its own database instead of everything in one huge database.

My current database, after having removed audiobooks, comics, games and about 90% of my music library, is still over 1.5GB. The database frequently just locks when scanning or doing any other database related task. Often a restart of Emby is needed so that the server becomes usable again.

I think by spreading databases in a similar way that now the user, activity, library and the others are, servers with larger database will have a lot less database issues.

Have you done any database maintenance?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Dibbes

That means say goodbye to features that cross through multiple libraries, namely searching and many others

Do you have any other suggestions then? I mean, restarting the server  few times a day is just not workable...

Have you done any database maintenance?

Besides vacuuming, what other options do I have? The database was created in December 2019 when I reinstalled everything...

Right, have you tried the hidden config switch to vacuum?

Yes, that took about 6min and the size went down to 1,5GB from 1,7GB...

Oh, and just before we start on hardware performance, the Server is an 8 core, 32GB DDR4 RAM machine with a NVidia 780ti graphics card. Emby lives on a SSD not shared with the pagefile nor the Emby cache folder (both are on a different physical SSD). I've tried creating RAM disk and put the database there, but there is no noticeable improvement.

I cannot believe I'm the only one with this issue

Edited by Dibbes

Spaceboy

I’m not massively far behind in dB size 1.2Gb but i don’t see any of these sort of issues. The only thing similar I have is the search or home page rendering causing live tv to pause momentarily

Emby and os is on a intel optane other than that we are very similar in build

Dibbes

I’m not massively far behind in dB size 1.2Gb but i don’t see any of these sort of issues. The only thing similar I have is the search or home page rendering causing live tv to pause momentarily

Emby and os is on a intel optane other than that we are very similar in build

Unfortunately my previous SSD that Emby was installed on, died. It's why I needed to reinstall. I've had these performance issues for a lot longer though, even before the existence of various of the plugins that are now available (virtual TV, smartplaylists, diskspace, etc.) It's just getting worse over time... Emby is on a new Samsung Evo SSD now, by the way... It used to be on an OCZ 3, which, while a few years older, was very similar in performance...

Once 4.4 server is released, I'll reinstall again, but since I didn't really see improvement after last reinstall, I'm having a hard time believing this time it'll be better...

Dibbes

Re-install what, OS or Emby ?

All of it... I think I'll finally go to Server 2019...

By the way, the December reinstall of mine was also a full reinstall... Still 2016 though

Edited by Dibbes

CBers

All of it... I think I'll finally go to Server 2019...

By the way, the December reinstall of mine was also a full reinstall... Still 2016 though

Each to their own, but that's a bit extreme, seeing that all we're talking about here is the size of the library.db file.

Was December the last time it was re-created ?

I don't use the Vacumn option to shrink my libary.db file, although I have tried it.

I do it manually, but now use a Powershell script that was made available to me.

Not sure if what the Vacumn option does and the manual method are the same, but I am happy with what I do.

CBers

I just ran the PS script against my (small) database file and it reduced it in size by 30%.

[06 March 2020 12:33:47] - Compacted Library.DB file has a size of:  170.07 MB
[06 March 2020 12:33:47] - Original (copied) Library DB file has a file size of:  245.69 MB
[06 March 2020 12:33:47] - Difference in size of Library DB files:   75.61 MB

Dibbes

Each to their own, but that's a bit extreme, seeing that all we're talking about here is the size of the library.db file.

Extreme? maybe... it's just an extra 20min though... and an added advantage is that I can swap out my last remaining 7yr old OCZ SSD where the OS is installed now... Besides, part of how I make my living is installing and configuring servers, so really not that big of a deal :-)

Was December the last time it was re-created ?

Yes... I did a complete reinstall in December. I did use the backup plugin to restore the config though... Honestly, that was a disaster, having to manually delete and recreate the libraries after the initial scan as those were mainly restored as mixed content... there's a topic about that somewhere. All in all took me a week and a half.

I don't use the Vacumn option to shrink my libary.db file, although I have tried it.

I do it manually, but now use a Powershell script that was made available to me.

Not sure if what the Vacumn option does and the manual method are the same, but I am happy with what I do.

Vacuum option basically recreates the database file and takes care of reserved/unused space, fragmented tables and the like. Not sure if @PenkethBoy actually made his script available...

Dibbes

what cpu does the server have?

AMD FX-8370e 8-Core overclocked to 4.3GHz Boost

Edited by Dibbes