Micro Stuttering of video every few seconds

damdow

damdow

Hi,

I am a new user just trying out Emby and I have run into a problem with about 20% to 30% of my videos, all my videos are SD quality (H.264) with different multiple audio tracks (AC3 and AAC), and the video Encoder Profile/Level set to Main/3.1. I use Handbrake to encode the videos as mp4s.

All my videos play without issue in VLC and the windows media player.

When playing the effected videos using the Emby app on Android TV using Direct Play the video stutters of pauses for one or two frames every few seconds, the audio is fine. I have tried re-encoding the videos changing the Encoder Profile/Level set to Main/3.1, Auto/Auto, High/3.1, High/5.0, and Main/5.0. On some videos encoding with Auto/Auto fixes the issue but on others nothing seems to have any effect.

If I use Direct Stream the problem goes away.

The TV and the Emby server are on a wired Gb network, so bandwidth isn't a problem.

I send the logs from the app @ 06:37 March 3rd, and have attached the server log. The user is the default - emby.

Is there something I can set in handbrake to fix this or is this a random incompatibility between exoplayer and handbrake?

Thanks

Damian

mastrmind11

Hi,

I am a new user just trying out Emby and I have run into a problem with about 20% to 30% of my videos, all my videos are SD quality (H.264) with different multiple audio tracks (AC3 and AAC), and the video Encoder Profile/Level set to Main/3.1. I use Handbrake to encode the videos as mp4s.

All my videos play without issue in VLC and the windows media player.

When playing the effected videos using the Emby app on Android TV using Direct Play the video stutters of pauses for one or two frames every few seconds, the audio is fine. I have tried re-encoding the videos changing the Encoder Profile/Level set to Main/3.1, Auto/Auto, High/3.1, High/5.0, and Main/5.0. On some videos encoding with Auto/Auto fixes the issue but on others nothing seems to have any effect.

If I use Direct Stream the problem goes away.

The TV and the Emby server are on a wired Gb network, so bandwidth isn't a problem.

I send the logs from the app @ 06:37 March 3rd, and have attached the server log. The user is the default - emby.

Is there something I can set in handbrake to fix this or is this a random incompatibility between exoplayer and handbrake?

Thanks

Damian

Check stats for nerds or your admin dashboard to find out the reason for the remux, and then fix it be remuxing it yourself.  Out of curiosity, why do you care if it direct streams instead of direct play?

damdow

The Emby App always uses Direct Play, I have to select "Playback Correction" before it will try Direct Stream. It doesn't spot that playing back the video will have any problem. After that the stats just give a general reason rather than something specific - "Direct Play Error"

Having to do a "Playback Correction" each time is a pain, and trying to get non-technical people or the kids to do it would be the fastest way to go mad that I can think of.

Is there a way to set it to always use Direct Stream?

Hi.  Are these videos interlaced?  What is the frame rate?

Edit: Answered one of my questions from your app log:

fps=24.999998

That is a pretty odd frame-rate...  Are they from PAL DVDs?

damdow

Yes, they are from PAL DVDs. That is a weird fps - Handbrake is set to encode the video to 25fps.

Here is the VLC codec info:

5e5e8014963fa_2020030316_04_12Window.png

damdow

I did some tests last night and changing the encoding in Handbrake from "25 Constant Framerate" to "Same As Source" fixes the problem. But the source is 25fps Constant, I am confused but at least it is now working. I am off to find all the faulty videos and re-encode them, so I might be back.

Thanks for all your help it is very much appreciated, and let me know if you need anything else.

• 3 weeks later...
Hyp3rD

I have the same bug with a serie there, but with a HEVC 1080p file, this is means that I have to reencode then? It’s not me that have made the original encoding, so I don’t know what parameter my collègue had used...

I have the same bug with a serie there, but with a HEVC 1080p file, this is means that I have to reencode then? It’s not me that have made the original encoding, so I don’t know what parameter my collègue had used...

Can we please look at an example? Thanks.

damdow

Most of my stuff is SD with some HD. About 20 to 30% of the videos had stuttering. In the end I batch re-encoded everything - it was quicker than trying to identify the ones that needed work. A re-encode of the affected MP4 fixed it for me, no need to re-rip.

Here is a quick summery of what I did for my SD files:

1. Upgrade HandBrake to latest release.
  2. Create a SD preset with the Framerate (FPS) set to Constant Framerate with a value of 25. NOTE: Before I upgraded HandBrake "Same as Source" fixed the issue after upgrading 25 fixed it.
  3. Set the Audio and Subtitle Selection Behaviour as you need.
  4. Set the Dimension Cropping to Custom and all zeros. This setting didn't have any effect, but it is what I normally do.
  5. Batch re-encode the files.

When setting the Framerate check what it should be first - all my SD stuff is PAL so it was 25. My HD files are handled in a similar fashion except I have a mix of 25fps and 23.98fps so I am batch encoding these separately.

I hope this helps.

damdow

Forgot to add that if your files have tags on them like mine you can copy them from the old files using MP3Tag.