#21 troyhough OFFLINE  

troyhough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 AM
  • LocationPixel 4 XL in North America

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:06 PM

No, that shouldn't be required. Comparing Intel QuickSync vs. Nvidia NVENC/NVDEC performance is very different from a comparison of 3D capabilities.

So to confirm. Sweet Intel CPU, large fast ram, SSD would be a solid choice. No additional video card necessary?

#22 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 2721 posts
  • Local time: 05:22 PM

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:45 PM

So to confirm. Sweet Intel CPU, large fast ram, SSD would be a solid choice. No additional video card necessary?

Correct!

• troyhough likes this

#23 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 825 posts
  • Local time: 08:22 AM

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:59 PM

HW acceleration on Intel CPU's is actually pretty impressive for just being an iGP. 

The reason I like to have a GPU is because it free's up the CPU to do other things, slammed cpu=sluggish system. 

#24 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 2721 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:46 PM

HW acceleration on Intel CPU's is actually pretty impressive for just being an iGP. 

The reason I like to have a GPU is because it free's up the CPU to do other things, slammed cpu=sluggish system. 

QuickSync hardware acceleration does not consume CPU resources. Hw acceleration is provided by a separate unit/chip that is included in the CPU..

Transcoding will still require CPU resources for audio conversion or copying video data - but that's the same when using a separate GPU board.

• Tur0k likes this

#25 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:09 PM

As always softworkz, you are a font of knowledge :)

• softworkz likes this

#26 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:16 PM

@Doofus .- Only some of us know that you're having some multi-dozen-core cpu which allows you to do transcoding without needing to use hw acceleration, but many readers don't. And I think for those who don't, such statements can be a bit confusing. It sounds like there was a choice while there actually isn't any as long as you don't have some monster cpu.

I'm actually not a climate guy, I like overpowered devices

*ahem* I've got a little something lined up...

• softworkz likes this

#27 mickle026 OFFLINE  

mickle026

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Local time: 04:22 PM

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:35 PM

It depends on how many users you need it to cater for.

I have intel i5-9400F 6 core in my server with MSI Z390Pro-A 16GB Corsair vengence 3000mhz Ram motherboard and it hardly uses anything,  GPU is only an Nvidia GT760, Ive never seen it at over 40% cpu usage yet or the GPU either for that matter, no matter what its doing.

What does bottleneck is the HDDs - probably because there are too many of them shared as 2 large "storage space" drives with parity, they max out at 100% when writing but are fine when reading.  It is windows and the parity that slows it down, storage spaces is a good idea but the lack of info on it and options is a pain.   If you ever use it create a Drive over 16TB otherwise under 16TB will use 4k clusters and kill performance, Over 16TB uses 256k clusters. However the SDDs do not, and the server and the OS are on the SSD, so not even on an m2Nvme - which they ought to be. 

The CPU supports HEVC 10bit decoding on chip. 

The CPU is actually 2x faster than the GPU (GPU uses NVDEC, Cuda fails on it).  The GPU could do with a better card but there is no need yet.

The server is fast and no waiting for thumbnails or pages to load.

I have pcie raiser doublers in it, with sata controllers, USb expansions and LAN cards in them, also 2 Power supplies spliced together power the HDDs, as just one isn't enough. I have 3 of the 5 1gigbit LANs teamed and 2 other ip addresses I can access from the server from if its 3x1gbit is busy. So all in all its heavily loaded, but doesn't bat an eyelid ... yet

Oh and if you decide to go intel just be mindfull that just because the chip fits the motherboard socket doesnt mean it will work or even power on, you have to check compatability too..

Edited by mickle026, 29 February 2020 - 12:13 AM.

#28 KMBanana OFFLINE  

KMBanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 AM

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:35 AM

I wouldn't try to build a 4k transcoding capable server at this time, HDR transcoding isn't ready yet and transcoding down from 4k looks worse than a native 1080p file.  

Keep a 4k library for users who don't need to transcode and a separate 1080p copy for users who are unable to play those files IMO.  

#29 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:47 AM

I wouldn't try to build a 4k transcoding capable server at this time, HDR transcoding isn't ready yet and transcoding down from 4k looks worse than a native 1080p file.  

Nonsense! 2160 to 1080 won't look worse. HDR and '4k' are not mutually exclusive! I've got a bunch of 1080 HDR stuff. Tone-mapping 10bit HDR to 8bit SDR is a challenge, but the resolution (downscaling) is very achievable. There is '4k' SDR 8bit and 10bit stuff. 

#30 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 2721 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:57 AM

Nonsense! 2160 to 1080 won't look worse. [...]

@Doofus - Do you know those series episode files available from some of the big players, where 45 min full-hd has a size of like 2 GB and the 4k version has only 2.4 GB for example?

In that case he would be right: The full hd version would be the better choice!

#31 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:08 AM

I'm experimenting :)

#32 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 2721 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:13 AM

No doubt - in general you're right in that a down-scaled 4k video is nothing to be concerned about...

#33 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:14 AM

Updating...

Edited by Doofus, 29 February 2020 - 02:26 AM.

#34 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157196 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:20 AM

Just FYI the forum will compress any images you upload thereby making these kinds of comparisons difficult. You'd have to attach them as a zip if seeing the originals are important, or link to them hosted elsewhere.

#35 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:47 AM

Ok here we go. I'll attach the zipped files as well as posting them... Which is 'native' 1080?

5e5a08967bd39_mpvshot0001.jpg

5e5a08a7304ac_mpvshot0004.jpg

Edited by Doofus, 29 February 2020 - 02:47 AM.

#36 SHSPVR OFFLINE  

SHSPVR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 824 posts
  • LocationVinita, Oklahoma

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:40 PM

Ok here we go. I'll attach the zipped files as well as posting them... Which is 'native' 1080?

5e5a08967bd39_mpvshot0001.jpg

5e5a08a7304ac_mpvshot0004.jpg

The top as bottom look wash out with less detail

#37 chef OFFLINE  

chef

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 4738 posts
  • LocationPeterborough, Canada

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:48 PM

Hardware acceleration is a bit like drinking caffeine. Yeah, you may get your stuff done quicker, and damn you feel like a rockstar and unkillable....but the end result is probably not as good as you could have done. But hey, you got it done, right!?!?!

@Doofus you are hilarious! I love it!

#38 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:01 PM

QuickSync hardware acceleration does not consume CPU resources. Hw acceleration is provided by a separate unit/chip that is included in the CPU..

Transcoding will still require CPU resources for audio conversion or copying video data - but that's the same when using a separate GPU board.

Sorry I should have said HW Acceleration instead of "GPU".

#39 SHSPVR OFFLINE  

SHSPVR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 824 posts
  • LocationVinita, Oklahoma

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:19 PM

Sorry I should have said HW Acceleration instead of "GPU".

Hey @lightsout just you know that HW Acceleration = GPU

#40 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 04:37 PM

Hey @lightsout just you know that HW Acceleration = GPU

Lol, well if you go up you can see softworkz corrected me on a technicality, I was referring to that post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users