1G Fiber Connection and Still Transcoding

saltedhash

saltedhash

Hi all,

I moved into a new place and was ecstatic when Gig Fiber was available (coming from a 500/30 plan). I instantly went into Emby and removed my bitrate limit and also removed it from the firewall (had some QOS and traffic shaping rules). Emby is now wide open with a gigabit available for users (you know, minus overhead and some WAF functionality).

Thing is, I'm still seeing users transcoding with the message saying they exceeded the bitrate limit. I did some testing with a friend that has a 200mbps down connection and when playing anything, it negotiates to 720p 5mbps or lower everytime when set to auto. If he sets it to the max it can go, it direct plays or direct streams just fine. I cant figure out why Auto doesn't negotiate any higher when it sees so much bandwidth available.

Does anyone have ideas on where to start looking? Initially I thought it might be a client side issue if the person has poor internet, but I ruled that out in testing.

Thanks!

Happy2Play

There are several topics on issues with "Auto".  In the end the server is to conservative on remote connections and the "Auto" quality client setting.  But you would have to go over a specific example with server and ffmpeg logs.

• Like 1

Try to run a wireguard vpn and access Emby that way... Mine tries to attempt direct play on lots of things and honestly, I have it set to 3mbit because i'm mostly on cellular and go through tunnels/bridges where even that is hard to maintain. BUT if/when i'm on wifi, I do see direct stream on 1080p. 

Wireguard is super simple to run. I actually run mine on an older GLI router that cost me $25.

• Like 1

saltedhash

Thanks for the insight. I wasn't aware Auto was that conservative. In my case it seems overly conservative. 

Wireguard is a good test case, but I was hoping to keep accessing Emby easy and intuitive.

saltedhash

I just did more searching on the forums and it looks like a test is to perform a download and see what the static transfer rate is. Even with this, it averages 180-200mbps (this is the testers max speed) so at least I can confirm I'm able to serve that type of speed to users. Not sure this gets me anywhere though :(

saltedhash

Did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

I wasn't aware of this I don't believe. In the transcode log it says "Transcodereasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit"

Do you mean the stats for nerds section in a browser?

I wasn't aware of this I don't believe. In the transcode log it says "Transcodereasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit"

Do you mean the stats for nerds section in a browser?

Pretty much all of our apps now have a stats for nerds section in the video player. So does this answer your question on why it is transcoding?