SlingTv integration?

JoBagOfDonuts
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

JoBagOfDonuts

Hey I am a lifetime emby subscriber. I was just wondering if there was any way to integrate my live tv sling into emby. I apologize if this is a noob question, I am just getting into emby after canceling plex. Thanks again if you help me out, much appreciated.

• Solution

Hi there, we'd love to do it if it were possible, but Sling does not make their content available for other apps to utilize.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 2/25/2020 at 2:48 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, we'd love to do it if it were possible, but Sling does not make their content available for other apps to utilize.

Channels DVR allows SlingTV using TV Everywhere. Maybe something changed? Because I subscribe to that app and have been HOPING Emby or Plex adds the same functionality. Channels DVR works to tune and DVR TV, it even DVRs TVE streams, but otherwise it's abysmal. All sorts of odd behaviors that require restarting the app. No issues with TVE. Just their interface. Really, it's ugly as sin with horrible navigation. 

Please, PLEASE add the functionality to Emby. 

slingCDVR.jpg

• Like 1

IMO it is just a matter of time before Channels has to remove this integration.  See: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/fitzytv-dvr-agrees-to-stop-offering-tv-everywhere-functionality-as-it-faces-a-legal-dispute/

However, if a fully-supported mechanism for this integration does emerge, we will certainly look to integrate it.

8 hours ago, ebr said:

IMO it is just a matter of time before Channels has to remove this integration.  See: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/fitzytv-dvr-agrees-to-stop-offering-tv-everywhere-functionality-as-it-faces-a-legal-dispute/

However, if a fully-supported mechanism for this integration does emerge, we will certainly look to integrate it.

I just don't see how Adobe could possibly win the case. The legal precedent would shut down so many products owned by companies that dwarf them in size. Think about it. The idea that a company can't sell an application that accesses a legally owned/subscribed service would destroy pretty much every piece of monitoring software on the market, various if not all automation tools, etc. 

If I were Fitzy I'd be reaching out to larger companies to discuss the impact of a legal precedent. Adobe doesn't want to play with Google or Microsoft's legal teams. 

1 minute ago, Vidiot said:

an application that accesses a legally owned/subscribed service

First, companies who provide those services are fully within their rights to describe exactly how one is allowed to access them.  That is part of the terms of use and the reason is because part of the business model is capturing the user so that you can market to them or collect information from them etc.

But, even not withstanding that, we aren't just talking about "access" here.  We're talking about recording them and then having them in a format that can easily be distributed - without limits.  That is the huge nut.

1 hour ago, ebr said:

But, even not withstanding that, we aren't just talking about "access" here.  We're talking about recording them and then having them in a format that can easily be distributed - without limits.  That is the huge nut.

Well that piece I can certainly understand. So maybe a play-only option to start? But on the other side that would get into the content independent of Adobe, and those providers DO allow you to DVR via cable card, which is how I did it in the past before MS dumped WMC. I used to run a Win 7 VM and various Ceton Echo devices and that worked beautifully for TV. Everything including DRM content would record to a NAS share I put in the registry that forced WMC to treat it like a local drive. Then all of a sudden it started to misbehave and I decided since obsolescence was inevitable I'd switch over to another solution. I then went to HDHR's DVR, which worked ok but didn't allow me to record DRM since the boxes not the server handled DRM content. Then I switched to Channels because their TVE implementation allowed me to not only record DRM, which I rarely do anyway, but it also allowed me to decom my "Prime" box and cablecard.

As for "terms of use" that doesn't affect me. There is no US federal law that governs terms of use. The worst they an do is cancel your account, to which I'd laugh and just move to another provider. However California and Nevada due to their corrupt politicians have state laws governing it. I wouldn't so much as stop to use the bathroom in either one of those states. 

Actually there are, check out Federal Reclamation Law & the Uniform Commercial Code among others.

Also almost all Terms & Conditions have a Governing Law Clause which declare which rules and laws will govern the agreement if legal issues arise whether express or implied.

Terms of service court cases almost always favor the provider something like 98%.