Alphabet picker missing on Fire TV stick but not FireTV ?

rbjtech
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

rbjtech

This maybe a 2nd gen fireTV stick oddity.

On my 2nd Gen fireTv sticks - I do not see the alphabet picker on the left, unless I select it with the icon on the right.  This is a pain as it used to come up with a left click on the fireTV remote.

However, on other clients (same server, same account) such as the 2nd Gen FireTV (non stick), or the LG Client - the alphabet picker is there and works just fine.

Stable Release - v4.3.1.0

Any clues ?  Happy to post logs if you think they will help.

Thanks all.

Hi.  That is by design and why there is a button for you to bring it up.  The older Fire stick is simply not powerful enough to handle the picker on screen at the same time as everything else.

rbjtech

Hi, make sure you're sorting by title

Hi Luke,

Sorted by title (name)

Have tried removing FireTV stick cache and data - no change

Have tried complete uninstall, reboot, reload - no change

Deleted Device in Emby - no change

It's definitely something about the FireTV stick, as all the other clients are OK.

I've attached a freshly rolled log with a freshly installed FireTV stick logging in and trying to use the picker.

I hope this helps ?

Thanks.

firetvstick.txt

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech

Hi.  That is by design and why there is a button for you to bring it up.  The older Fire stick is simply not powerful enough to handle the picker on screen at the same time as everything else.

Err... ok - it worked perfectly well before the latest update and works very fast when you do select it.  If it can't be on screen fine, but left click used to bring it up as well, but now I have to scroll all the way to the right to select it - and then re-select it every time I want to jump to a letter ?   This seems a very backwards step for the user experience imo ..   :wacko:

rbjtech

Any chance you could put this back for the next release ?  I'm really not understanding the logic - it wasn't slow at all on the previous build.  Is there a way I can force it by messing with the Device identification ?

Thanks.

It was not there all the time in the previous build either.  The one thing that may have changed is that you could bring it up by moving left off of the grid.  I haven't tested that in a while so something may have killed it in this situation.

• Like 1

rbjtech

It was not there all the time in the previous build either.  The one thing that may have changed is that you could bring it up by moving left off of the grid.  I haven't tested that in a while so something may have killed it in this situation.

Yes, this - I'm not 100% if it was there all the time as you say - perhaps it was auto-habit but clicking left always brought up the picker but this no longer works.  If this could be returned in the next build I and I suspect all the FireTV stick users would be very grateful ! 

Thanks ebr. 

Based on current testing, I think I can limit this only to the 1st gen stick - which really doesn't perform well for anything so hopefully not many are using them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution
rbjtech

Alphabet Picker on the 2nd Gen FireTV Stick is back - hooray !

Selection performance is just fine.  :D

Thank you SO much !