VPN Question

leebo
Go to solution Solved by smokey7722,

I apologize if this has been asked, but I searched for "VPN and got 0 hits. I also don't see anything about it in the set up tutorial for the server. Maybe if someone knows where the info is they could post a link?

I have MB3 Server running on my home server. I am also using a VPN. A family member installed MB theater today, and was able to connect to my server. However, he is getting a lot of stuttering and buffering. I suspect it is because the VPN is limiting my upload speed.

So my questions are:

Is there info on setting up MB server to bypass my VPN? I only found mention of this: "Server (http/web socket) ports to use for the server,".

Is there a setting in MB theater to lower the bitrate? I know the client for Roku has it.

smokey7722

If you want to bypass your VPN, you need to open your servers port to the public via a static nat translation in your router and have MBC/MBT connect to the server via your public ip/port.

If you want to bypass your VPN, you need to open your servers port to the public via a static nat translation in your router and have MBC/MBT connect to the server via your public ip/port.

I really appriciate your reply.

So I'm trying to understand... I need to give my server a static IP from within my router? Then what, forward port 8096 to that IP? Then have my brother set up MBT to use the IP given to me by my Internet Provider?

• Solution
smokey7722

I really appriciate your reply.

So I'm trying to understand... I need to give my server a static IP from within my router? Then what, forward port 8096 to that IP? Then have my brother set up MBT to use the IP given to me by my Internet Provider?

You need to give your machine a static IP internally (just to be sure it does not change), lets say its 192.168.1.10 for example.  If you are using port 8096 then you will need to go to your router and forward port 8096 to 192.168.1.10 internally.  In this example lets say your public IP address of your router is 5.5.5.5 - your brother would setup MBT to use 5.5.5.5 and port 8096.

Keep in mind your public IP may change, so if your router supports any dynamic dns services, it may be wise to signup for one of them so you don't have to have your brother update the IP in MBT when it changes.

Let me know if you have any other questions or anything.  Its a pretty simple process overall though.

• Like 2

I think I got it. Thanks!

I'll report back in a couple of days (depends when he has time) just to let you know.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.

smokey7722

I think I got it. Thanks!

I'll report back in a couple of days (depends when he has time) just to let you know.

No problem.  Hope it all goes well!

So it IS working, technically. My bro reports he is able to connect, and navigation is much faster. But streaming is unwatchable, too much stuttering.

At this point I'm unsure whether it's my upload speed (just under 3mbps) or something with the software. It is only Alpha at this point. I've found a couple of threads complaining about the same thing.

Damn it Chloe, we're running out of time. Use the not a computer device!

smokey7722

So it IS working, technically. My bro reports he is able to connect, and navigation is much faster. But streaming is unwatchable, too much stuttering.

At this point I'm unsure whether it's my upload speed (just under 3mbps) or something with the software. It is only Alpha at this point. I've found a couple of threads complaining about the same thing.

Damn it Chloe, we're running out of time. Use the not a computer device!

Cool glad that at least you got it working.  You could try adjusting the bandwidth for his streaming but as you said, you are limited to 3mbps which is pretty slow (roughly 384KB/s at max).  He may be able to stream to a phone in low res audio/video but you aren't going to get much out of a 3mbps upload speed.

leebo

Is there some way to adjust his bandwidth with MB Theater? I'm not running it, and he says he doesn't find any way to adjust that.

leebo

BTW, previously I had our Roku set to around 3Mbps (but in our LAN), and it was completely watchable. Not Blue Ray, obviously, but many times better than SD, IMO. Would that bit rate be visually different over the internet?

smokey7722

Is there some way to adjust his bandwidth with MB Theater? I'm not running it, and he says he doesn't find any way to adjust that.

I've not used MBT so I am not sure.  If someone doesn't chime in here on it you may need to ask that in the MBT forum (or install and check it out yourself)

BTW, previously I had our Roku set to around 3Mbps (but in our LAN), and it was completely watchable. Not Blue Ray, obviously, but many times better than SD, IMO. Would that bit rate be visually different over the internet?

3Mbps is 3Mbps.  So if it was watchable internally then it should in theory be the same externally.  Keep in mind that your upload speed is not constant though so you may be 3Mbps max, but it may drop below that at times and can cause video stuttering and playback issues.  There is also a latency and routing concerns as well with streaming as well and thats out of your hands.

syggy

I use MB via the iPad client and the Check Point VPN client to a Check Point 600 firewall. I have around 5mbit of upload speed at home (cable) and around 4mbit of download speed at my parent's home (adsl) where I mostly use this connection. I have to limit the bandwidth on the iPad client to an even lower 2-3 mbit to get smooth playback. 

Using VPN creates a bit of overhead (5-20%), so not all of your available bandwidth is available for the application over VPN, it may also generate problems with MTU settings in some rare cases.

But the biggest factor is the unreliable up/down speed and latency of the involved ISPs. I have even better down speeds at my girlfriends parents house, but that is over 3G there and I can't get mb to work properly there because of latency and not very constant down speeds. 

leebo

For whatever reason, when I'm connected to my VPN (private VPN), my download speed goes from almost 30 down to well under 10, and my upload from about 4 down to under 2. It makes no difference which of their servers I connect to.

As far as MB,I have not only confirmed that the Theater client has no way to change the download rate, but that it's actually missing items that are needed to use it across the internet. So my brother will have to use Plex or get a Roku/Chromecast.