Risks for connections without certificate and possible solutions

tsunami1701

tsunami1701

Hi experts,

I don't want a domain for my server so it seems impossible to have a certificate for secure connections.

Which are the risks?

Can I create a special user in windows to be used in emby to limit the access only to media server and media folder like I do with shared folders?

Are there other possible solutions?

Thanks!!

mastrmind11

Assuming you're referring to external connections, you don't need a domain for a cert.  https://letsencrypt.org/

Self signed certs aren't ideal, but they work for most things.  You can also get a dynamic dns address and a real cert from Cloudflare.  Plenty of documentation on the interwebs for both approaches.

Edited by mastrmind11

pwhodges

It's true that LetsEncrypt do not issue certificates for IP addresses.  A few registries do still, and of course you can generate your own self-signed certificate (with the limitations that brings of not being automatically trusted).

However, it seems to me to be perverse to want a secure connection, but to want not to have the usual means of specifying it (using a domain).  Not having a domain doesn't change the risks involved, though - such as they are.

And why so you want a special user to Windows to limit access to Emby?  Emby already has a user login system for controlling access.

Paul

lordfiSh

You can use

- a SSH-Reverse Tunnel

- VPN like OpenSSH or Wireguard

- just use a Self-Singed Certificate

Question is why don't want a (Sub-)Domain? Also you may be better off, if you don't know what are you doing.