Music tagged with several Musicbrainz Release Artist IDs

nmkaufman
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

nmkaufman

This isn't so much an Emby problem, more just an issue with Musicbrainz being a serious mess lately.

More and more collaboration albums / Split EP's are tagged with both contributing artists's Artist IDs.

The correct way to tag these albums is with a multi-artist ID (example: https://musicbrainz.org/artist/45716fc0-8e06-4143-a47b-327a7906ffb4 )

But a lot of contributors just use both artist ID's, seperated by a forward slash (example: https://musicbrainz.org/release/b3b2e2b9-d6f1-41e8-a0cc-2e57a450e8f1 )

When an album is tagged this way, Emby just tags it as an album by whichever artist is listed first (so Waylon Jennings, in this case.)

There doesn't seem to be anyone over at Musicbrainz policing this behavior, so can a workaround perhaps be added to Emby? Or Should I simply disable the Musicbrainz plugin?

Seems like all I would really lose is the artist / album 'blurbs' / write-ups, which I really don't care too much about, but a fix would always be better.

Edited by nmkaufman
  • Like 1

All artists are supported but the mbz IDs cannot be used by themselves. They can only be used in conjunction with the artist names listed in the artists tag. So if there are three artist IDs, there also need to be three artist names.

Regarding disabling musicbrainz, pretty much all of the other music metadata providers are based on musicbrainz IDs, so in order for them to work you'd have to manually make sure all artist and albums have mbz IDs in emby.

nmkaufman

Strange.

The album is tagged with

Musicbrainz Artist ID "deb2448c-6fdf-4d31-921e-757630515dbd/668fd73c-bf54-4310-a139-305517f05311"

and

albumartist "Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson"

But it's imported into my Emby Library as only being by Merle Haggard.

I'll play around with it a bit, this weekend, and try switching to beta again.

• Solution

It was initially imported exactly as you tagged it, but then looking up metadata from musicbrainz based on that mbz id, the artist got renamed to this:

https://musicbrainz.org/artist/deb2448c-6fdf-4d31-921e-757630515dbd

The MBZ id 668fd73c-bf54-4310-a139-305517f05311 is not used because there is no second artist.

• Like 1

nmkaufman

Me, again.

Would it break anything if I just stopped tagging my music with musicbrainz ID's? (but kept the plugin enabled?)

Would that fix the problem?

Why do that? I thought this was happening because there was no mbz id at all and therefore it was looking up metadata by name.

nmkaufman

It's tagged with 2 different album artists' mbz id's, (seperated by a '/') and Emby is only using the first.

I maybe need to spin up a second emby server on my laptop to play around with and experiment.

Edited by nmkaufman