External Drives Issues - Another Linux Noob with Permission Issues

djpillz

Hi guys,

So I have read through pages and pages on these support forums and I know what is wrong but don't know how to fix it. I have taken instructions from everyone and nothing has panned out for me.

I am running Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS - my username in Ubuntu is djpillz and my username for Emby is Eric.

Path to external drive is /media/djpillz/DATA where there is two directories /Movies and /TV Shows.

Whenever I try to add the folder as a library to Emby it allows me to navigate to /media/djpillz/ but there is nothing there. When I type the path manually it gives me "The path cannot be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again."

ls -l /media/djpillz/DATA

total64

drwxr-xr-x 27 djpillz djpillz 32768 Feb 15 22:14 Movies

drwxr-xr-x 17 djpillz djpillz 32768 Feb 16 09:58 'TV Shows'

groups emby

emby : emby video

I cannot figure out how to add Emby to the group. Please help!

Edited by djpillz

Yeah I did. None of that worked for me - every single time I would type one of those command it would say Command Failed.

I literally just figured it out.

sudo chmod -R a+rw /path/to/folder

Thanks for the feedback !

Did it say anything more besides command failed? What was the full terminal message?

mastrmind11

I'm a bit confused here.  You said your username in ubuntu is djpillz and your emby username is Eric.  Are you saying that you have set Emby to run as the user Eric?  

Bottom line is you need to figure out who Emby is running as, default is emby so if you haven't changed that then you simply need to add emby to the group that owns your media, in this case djpillz.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/add-remove-user-to-groups-in-ubuntu/

Thanks - I'm sure that would have worked as well. That was the other option I was trying to sort out was how to add Emby to the group. I wasn't sure if I needed to add my username on Emby (Eric) or what - obviously I needed to add the default user emby. Either way I got it sorted by just allowing all users access to the drive.

Thank you guys for your help!

• Like 1