How to set share permissions for emby server?

Davchr

I am trying to set up a Raspberry Pi/Debian board as an emby server with an smb client for the media files.  I can browse to the share fine.  When I click OK, after waiting awhile, I get a path not found error.  I think it is related to access privileges.  If I enter a bogus path it comes back right away with the path not found error.  How/where do I enter the userid and password for the share in emby?  

I set up an emby server on windows, using the same share, with no problems.  No such luck with Debian.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Since this is an smb path, what i would suggest is mounting the SMB path to a local share in the operating system. Then add the local share path into Emby.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

OK  I tried that and got an error "can't find in /etc/fstab"  What does this mean?

In case you don't know, I will be the first to admit that I know almost nothing about linux.

thanks

JaScoMa

What OS did you install and is running on your Pi?

The /etc/fstab file (fstab is the file name within the /etc directory) handles your mount points for the Linux system.

What is you SMB share?  A windows box, NAS device?

Raspbian on the Pi.

The SMB share is a NAS  device - Airdisk.

It looks like I need to add this line to my /etc/fstab file:

//192.168.1.100/documents /mnt cifs username=smbuser,password=abc123@# 0 0

Where will this mount /documents?  what does the 0 0 at the end of this line mean/do?

thanks

mastrmind11

Raspbian on the Pi.

The SMB share is a NAS  device - Airdisk.

It looks like I need to add this line to my /etc/fstab file:

//192.168.1.100/documents /mnt cifs username=smbuser,password=abc123@# 0 0

Where will this mount /documents?  what does the 0 0 at the end of this line mean/do?

thanks

/mnt

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/38125/htg-explains-what-is-the-linux-fstab-and-how-does-it-work/

JaScoMa

If you're just using the Pi for the emby server, you may want to look at installing DietPi instead (https://dietpi.com).  Its a stripped down version running the minimal items and allows you to install Emby server during the installation process.  I've used DietPI on Pi3, Pi3b+ and my RockPro64 without any issues.

Also, it has a disk management system where you put in the information to connect to a SMB share and you don't require any knowledge of mount points, etc.

JoScoMa, I will try the dietpi.    I have mapped my NAS drive.  I can find the drive and directories when adding media libraries but still cannot add the directory or files to my library.  It was easy to do when I set up a windows emby server, but nogo with Raspbian.

thanks

JaScoMa

I mainly use NFS for my DietPI to NAS connection, but when I was using SMB, here was my entry in the fstab file.

//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/MediaServer /mnt/MediaServer cifs username=nasuser,password=nasuserpassword,iocharset=utf8,uid=emby,gid=emby,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,vers=3.0,_netdev,nofail

//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/MediaServer - IP Address of NAS and NAS share
/mnt/MediaServer -  mnt directory on the linux system
cifs
username=nasuser - Username to connect to the NAS Share; NAS share permisisons must be configured accordingly.
password=nasuserpassword - Password of the above NAS user account
iocharset=utf8
uid=emby - Sets the owner user ID of the mount folder to the linux "emby" User
gid=emby - Sets the owner group ID of the mount folder to the linux "emby" Group.
file_mode=0770 - Sets the permissions of the mount files to (user/group/other) Full Access / Full Access / None; in essence, emby user/group has full access.
dir_mode=0770 - Sets the permissions of the mount folders to (user/group/other) Full Access / Full Access / None; in essence, emby user/group has full access.
vers=3.0 - Sets to SMB version 3; check with your NAS to see if if accepts this.
_netdev
nofail
Edited by JaScoMa
  • Like 1