Error Message Cannot Access Media Use UNC path

pmichener1954

pmichener1954

I am new and am having trouble understanding how to enable unc path in the server.  Found one post and it was a clear as mud to me. 

HTPC displays "Cannot access media, will attempt to stream ......., Use unc path....." When I click ok, movie streams from server.

I cannot figure out how to define this unc path in the server.  I found one post that mentioned a document from another poster, but cannot find that document. 

Can someone please help with a step by step document on how to define this unc path.

Good day,

As Steelman1991 said.

Also from the mb server dashboard, click on the menu: "Library" then the menu tab "Path Substitution" and add your share folders to be for UNC.

My best

Deihmos

That is the old way of sharing folders and what if you don't want to share with everyone on your network?. The better and recommended option is to create a homegroup. It is much easier.

Link

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

What do you mean it does not work with everything? It is exactly the same thing but instead of sharing with everyone that connects to your network you are able to share with the homegroup. Your guests that use your wifi will see all your folders.  Homegroup gives you more control and it is easier.

Edited by Deihmos

steelman1991

I don't have a lot of experience of 'sharing' to argue the merits of either system, but surely in either - its merely a matter of restricting access, or alternatively providing access, to the folders you want the user to see/use (in that instance the user won't have access to all your files, unless you want them to)? Just a different method.