Grouping of recorded tv series

davepompea

davepompea

I previously used Windows MC, both XP and now W7. All the recorded tv shows could be grouped together in unique 'folders' And a list of these series / groupings were all on one scrollable screen. So I scroll the list of series, select one, that expands to the recordings of that series and I select the one I want to view.

With emby all I can get is one long list of all the recordings of everything. How to fix this so that series are grouped?

davepompea

The folder struct is:

Main folder for recordings
   -- News First at 8
   -- Wheel
       ---- Season 37
   -- Jeopardy!
      ----   Season 36
   -- CBS Evening News
       ---- Season 2020
   -- Bull
       ---- Season 4
   -- Lets make a deal
       ---- Season 11

Really, you them organized into series and season folders? i didn't think wmc did that.

Anyway, what happens when you click into the recordings library from the home screen?

davepompea

No not me. emby made the folder structures and put the show recordings in them.

Note: WMC does not do this but shows series as it names each show with the name and date. For example:

Star Trek_WHECDT2_2015_05_23_21_00_22.wtv

Star Trek_WHECDT2_2015_06_06_21_00_03.wtv

Both are shown in the same 'folder' view. In reality, all WMC recordings are in the same actual folder. It just groups them when shown.

Anyway, there is no recordings folder on the home screen. Nor do I find an option to put one there. There is one on the Live TV screen (from the home screen)  that also has Programs, Guide Channels, Schedule and Series tabs on the top of it.

Anyway, there is no recordings folder on the home screen. Nor do I find an option to put one there. 

Hi.  In your user setup on the server, be sure the user has been given access to the "Recordings" library.

davepompea

There is no explicit "Recordings" access for the users. However there is a "Library Access" and "Device Access" which are enabled.

All  users can see the recordings. But only showing all of them on one screen. No groupings.

BTW, When / If I get this working, since emby makes "season' folders, hope I don't need to drill down into them to view recordings. That would be an extra step all the time. WMC didn't have that.

davepompea

And the Real Answer is:

Add on the  Home Screen a Library of the Type "TV shows" Use that to get the shows, grouped.

ps, yes EVERYTHING was always enabled. 

Edited by davepompea

davepompea

Yes. The Recording folder was defined to the folder that WMC used.  I had a "TV, Mixed Content" library defined for that folder.

Yes. The Recording folder was defined to the folder that WMC used.  I had a "TV, Mixed Content" library defined for that folder.

Okay, so that's why there was no default recordings library.  You pointed the system to an existing library to hold your recordings.

Does that all make sense now?

davepompea

Okay, so that's why there was no default recordings library.  You pointed the system to an existing library to hold your recordings.

Does that all make sense now?

No it doesn't make any sense.  I didn't point anything to an existing Library. I pointed a Library to a folder that was also pointed to by another Library. Why would it matter if a folder was pointed to for another use?

I would have expected everything to be in the Live TV section where I can see the live tv channels, schedule recordings, etc.

In the Library view I wish I could get rid of the icons and just show a text grid (not long list) of the shows. Just like MCE / 7MC.

I pointed a Library to a folder that was also pointed to by another Library. 

Okay, that may be the crux of other problems as that is not supported (the same location in multiple libraries).

The "Recordings" tab of the Live TV library is meant to be a quick view of your latest recordings - just listed flat by last recording date.  To see items grouped properly by series, season, etc. you use the normal library browsing for where ever your recordings are.