Transcode Benchmark/Performance

Bakers

Is there a way to test the performance of a server in terms of emby transcoding? I would like to do a benchmark and realize it would be awesome to have the capability of tracking the results of a known/fixed transcode process built into emby or through the commandline. This way we could collect and compare various hardware/software configurations to identify the performance of the server.

Running on raspberry pi 4, what can you expect? Using a 2080 TI what performance have others seen under Windows vs Linux?

Is there anything available? Plans to do something like this? Plugins for this kind of test?

Thank-you in advance.

This a very difficult thing to achieve. Due to the highly adaptive nature of the way how Emby prepares and delivers data for playback, it's not easy to get meaningful and comparable results. 

There are plans for a plugin that allows running sets of predefined transcode operations in an automated way - primarily for performing system tests, but this would basically be the same as what would be required for doing performance tests. Unfortunately this had to be postponed due to time constraints.

Otherwise, I can only say that it's very important to look at the details. For example, needing to burn-in subtitles or not can be a matter or life-and-death on "weak" devices.

• Like 2

JaScoMa

Can confirm that the burn-in subtitles kills my RockPro64.

But in testing, I've had 5 streams running different movies all at once; Web browser, 2 Roku's, Xbox One S and nVidia Shield.  Two of the streams were full MVK blu-ray rips while the other three were H.264 re-codes averaging about 9,000-12,000kbps total bitrates.

Usually transcoding does occur with every movie as it reports that the audio needs to be re-coded to a supported format.

For subtitles, I rip them to srt and place these in the media folders.  With this configuration, it runs well.

But I mainly use my system for internal network only.  I haven't a need for external connections, etc., so my configuration works great for me.

Can confirm that the burn-in subtitles kills my RockPro64.

But in testing, I've had 5 streams running different movies all at once; Web browser, 2 Roku's, Xbox One S and nVidia Shield.  Two of the streams were full MVK blu-ray rips while the other three were H.264 re-codes averaging about 9,000-12,000kbps total bitrates.

Usually transcoding does occur with every movie as it reports that the audio needs to be re-coded to a supported format.

For subtitles, I rip them to srt and place these in the media folders.  With this configuration, it runs well.

But I mainly use my system for internal network only.  I haven't a need for external connections, etc., so my configuration works great for me.

I suppose it is just copying the video stream and transcoding the audio only.