Can someone shed some light on conversions?

AviatorBimmer

AviatorBimmer

Hello guys and gals,

I am some what confused with conversions.

ALL of my movies are in MKV containers, some with DD, DTS, DTX or Atmos audio and I am trying to have my library as compatible as I can with the rest of my family members, who use Emby clients for iOS, Roku, LG WebOS and others.

For this, I have been downloading 4K UHD movies for my local network consumption and also using 1080p versions for my family members when they watch remotely from their homes.

Am I ok with continuing to do the above or am I better off just keeping the 4K UHD version for myself and using Emby's conversion utility to make a more compatible version for my family members?

I other words, I want to have a version for each movie that will not result in transcoding when viewed remotely.

Edited by AviatorBimmer

Q-Droid

That is one of the ways I use conversion, to create a lower bitrate version suitable for remote and browser viewing using the mobile profile for max compatibility. They're not using HTS sound or big screens so fidelity is not a concern.

Right approach or not depends on whether your server is up to the task or if it's easier to get a 1080p version that's within the specs you need or close enough for "light" converting, like remux and audio.

AviatorBimmer

That is one of the ways I use conversion, to create a lower bitrate version suitable for remote and browser viewing using the mobile profile for max compatibility. They're not using HTS sound or big screens so fidelity is not a concern.

Right approach or not depends on whether your server is up to the task or if it's easier to get a 1080p version that's within the specs you need or close enough for "light" converting, like remux and audio.

Yea man, that makes complete sense and thus why I was wondering what would be the best approach.

None of my family members have complete surround sounds (just TV speakers) and aren't really picky as far as quality is concerned. Some have 4K TVs and a few have 1080p TVs.

I'm guessing I could just serve them 3mbps bitrates and they should be fine as long as it's in a fully compatible format for both video and audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AviatorBimmer

How about once you convert a movie to say mobile or TV. Does Emby automatically play the correct version depending on whether a client is connecting to the server via a local network or remote network?

In other words, when a client requests a movie to be played, does Emby determines that the client is a say a Roku client on a remite network thus selects the mobile version if available?

And the - TV part in a filename is what tells Emby to use that file?

Q-Droid

AFAIK Emby tries to pick the best match based on detected/reported client capability and bandwidth. It's not the filename but the media info that matters so yes, it should automatically play the most compatible version that matches the bitrate allowed. But I don't know the ins and outs of how it makes the selection.

3mpbs might be pushing it. The times I've used convert to 4mpbs or lower it changed the output to 720p.

AviatorBimmer

AFAIK Emby tries to pick the best match based on detected/reported client capability and bandwidth. It's not the filename but the media info that matters so yes, it should automatically play the most compatible version that matches the bitrate allowed. But I don't know the ins and outs of how it makes the selection.

3mpbs might be pushing it. The times I've used convert to 4mpbs or lower it changed the output to 720p.

Oh I see. It's all starting to make more sense and I'm starting to vet a better picture (no pun intended) of how this works.

I think for best compatibility, I might have to go with custom and making sure it outputs as a MP4, correct?

Or will it choose MP4 if I go with TV and original video bitrates? Basically just changing the audio to AAC and repacking to MP4.

I think for best compatibility, I might have to go with custom and making sure it outputs as a MP4, correct?

Or just pick the mobile profile.

AviatorBimmer

Or just pick the mobile profile.

Ok, and making sure to select perhaps 8mbps to ensure it will not convert it to 720p?

Sorry for the stupid questions [emoji85] I just want to make sure I understand all of this correctly. Converting is time consuming and I don't want to spend so much time trying to guess.

AviatorBimmer

Yes you could do mobile profile at a higher quality.

Thanks!

Edited by AviatorBimmer

AviatorBimmer

Yes you could do mobile profile at a higher quality.

Last question...

If I have a 4K and 1080p version and I want to convert the 1080p using the mobile setting, do I simply select the 1080p and select convert?

Or will it always try to convert the larger file regardless of which movie version chosen?

Q-Droid

You can use custom bitrates in the standard profiles. 5mbps produces 1080p output.

Edited by Q-Droid