Using offlinemedia if present

morbificagent

morbificagent

Hi there,

actually im trying to get emby running well in my new home. The problem is that there isnt a good internet connection and my emby server is running in a data center.

Result: with nice mbit settings it hangs every few seconds, with bad mbit settings it looks... how it looks (not useable).

So i am searching for a way to "precache" the videos. For example i tried using Kodi, editing the advancedsettings.xml for cache the whole video and such things. But nothing worked really good.

So i was looking for the emby versions which can do an download/sync of the files... -> Android and iOS only.... hm... ok, only these.

Now i am trying the iOS App, connected an old iphone via hdmi to my tv, throwed it behind the screen and started the emby app. -> Great, i can go to the emby webinterface now, select "download this film to: iPhone behind TV"... and it is downloading the video... check... worked.

Arriving at home and falling into the couch... open emby on my main-phone, select the "iPhone behind tv" (with the downloaded film on it) as player and pressing PLAY...

It now has two possibilities of playing. The online-file with the bad connection and the offline file. And it selects the online file :-(

Wouldnt it be much greater if the app would say "hey i have an offline file for that...."

So it looks like i havent a solution again.

Yes of course i could get a long long hdmi cable for selecting the offline file right on the "iPhone behind the TV" but..... noooooo. Long hdmi cables arent a solution ;-)

Does anyone has an idea how to "precache" a file using the emby apps itself or 3rd party apps?

Edited by morbificagent

morbificagent

Hi Luke,

eventually i misunderstood you, but i am speaking about video and in my tests it plays the online-version of the film instead of the downloaded offline-version when i trigger the playback from another device...

When you say "we already do this for video" i will test it again but i am pretty sure... 

morbificagent

:(  OK, than i have to search for another possibility to "precache"/"predownload" the files...

Does anyone have an idea?

morbificagent

Only as info:

Tested the same with Emby for Android and there its working.

It playes the offline files instead of streaming again even if you hit the play button remotely