How to burn in subtitles

pünktchen

pünktchen

@@Luke and @@softworkz how can i burn in subtitles with the VideoService api? If i use something like this:

http://127.0.0.1:8096/emby/Videos/951870/stream.mkv?VideoCodec=h264&MaxVideoBitRate=100000000&MaxFramerate=24&MaxWidth=1920&MaxHeight=1080&AudioCodec=ac3&EnableAutoStreamCopy=true&AudioStreamIndex=1&SubtitleStreamIndex=2&SubtitleMethod=Encode&PlaySessionId=abc&api_key=123

ffmpeg just stalls at

>> ThrottleByStreamBufferSize: Playback position unknown
>> Thrott

Any idea what's wrong?

Edit: Oh wait. After some minutes transcoding finally starts. Is it normal that it takes that long? I also tried software encoding - same effect.

ffmpeg-transcode-eafc422f-c9dc-4ad2-a93b-24189ff5f165_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-eafc422f-c9dc-4ad2-a93b-24189ff5f165_2.txt

Edited by pünktchen

Yes it will be considerably slower, although it's surprising it took this long for you given that it's only 1080p content. You could try without hardware transcoding and see if that makes a difference.

• 3 weeks later...
pünktchen

@@softworkz are you willing to debug this with me. Burn-in VobSubs or PGS subtitles is okay,

but SRT subtitles always takes up to one minute or more before even the transcoding file is generated.

That will always be slow but try it on the 4.4 beta as it might be improved a little bit.

pünktchen

That will always be slow but try it on the 4.4 beta as it might be improved a little bit.

I've already tried the beta and it's the same. With embedded srt subtitles it takes ages before the transcoding file is created.

Obvioulsy it's a problem of the way Emby is doing this. If i use Handbrake, which also utilises ffmpeg, the encoded file is created immediately!

But most emby apps don't burn those in anymore, like if you play the original file, we have better ways of handling subtitles.

pünktchen

I never complained about app support, but i've thought this beta release cycle is about optimizing transcoding. But okay, you win.

Anyway, if i have a mkv with embedded subtitle (default=no, forced=true) and an external subtitle (default=true, forced=true) next to the video file, the default subtitle stream index of the mediainfo api returns the embeddee sub! That's not what i would expect here.

I never complained about app support, but i've thought this beta release cycle is about optimizing transcoding. But okay, you win.

Anyway, if i have a mkv with embedded subtitle (default=no, forced=true) and an external subtitle (default=true, forced=true) next to the video file, the default subtitle stream index of the mediainfo api returns the embeddee sub! That's not what i would expect here.

have you played that file before? it's probably remembering the previous selection.