Same movie appears multiple times in library

kaledi
Go to solution Solved by Hyp3rD,

Hello there,

I'm a very recent convert over from PLEX and I'm liking Emby Premier.

I have movie library that consists of at least two encodes of each movie - a HEVC MKV high bith rate with a low bit rate AVC MP4 file that I use to synchronise with mobile devices.  Previously (with Plex) I curated the library by having the different encodes in different folders.  I realise that Emby prefers all files in the same folder so I've done this and this is the folder structure I use with both encodes in the same library.

Movies > ABCDEF > Movie 1 (YEAR) > Movie 1 (YEAR) (MKV).mkv ; Movie 1 (YEAR) (MP4).mp4

Many of the movies are correctly identified as a single entry and I get the option to select which encode to play when I click into the movie, but an equally large number of movies have an entry for each encode.  As far as I can tell, both versions have the same metadata ID - (movie ID, same artwork etc).  Before I manually merge each movie, I wanted to know if there is something wrong with my file organisation that needs changing.

To be clear, I've made sure that the folder name and file name are identical to the point of the end of the parenthesis for the year i.e. 'Movie 1 (YEAR)'.  The file names vary thereafter in that there may be an extra space between (YEAR) and (MP4) compared to (YEAR) and (MKV) - just due to the way I implemented batch renaming.

Any help appreciated.

• Solution

Hi kaledi, here is how you have to name your movies.

Have a nice day!

Multi-version movies

Multiple versions of the same content can be stored in a single movie folder.

/Movies
/300 (2006)
  /300 (2006) - 1080p.mkv
  /300 (2006) - 4K.mkv
  /300 (2006) - 720p.mp4
  /300 (2006) - extended edition.mp4
  /300 (2006) - directors cut.mp4
  /300 (2006) - 3D.hsbs.mp4

Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - ".

If using the dash method anything following the dash will be what you see in the Emby client app.

Note: The above example includes a 3D version, which is discussed in the 3D Video naming guide.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102

• Like 1

Bingo - perfect, thank you.  That would explain it.  I didn't realise that the dash was so important.  Some of my files have the dash and these are correctly grouped, whilst others aren't and are not quite so well grouped!