Hardware for new linux server

Nicias

I'm rebuilding my plex server and I'm considering switching to Emby

This is the hardware I am thinking of using for the server:

https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=KrArwM7CrRlcCw7mRu%2ftwA%3d%3d

My use case is that I have a large collection of DVD rips, transcoded to x264, in MKV container. Here is a description of the format of a typical rip:

Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(progressive), 720x480 [SAR 186:157 DAR 279:157], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 448 kb/s (default)
Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: dvd_subtitle, 720x480

Some of them also have .srt files.

I usually just stream to one client. A Roku 4 (4400X) attached to a HD TV via hdmi and optical.

I would like to direct stream this. I manage my .nfo files by hand, and would prefer to do so.

That would be a minimum feature set. Can Emby do that?

If I understand correctly, Emby can also on-the-fly OCR dvd subtitles. Is that correct?

Hi there, yes emby can do that. Roku will not support that format of subtitles so they will require video transcoding, so just be aware of that. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

Yes, that helps.

In terms of the video transcoding, this machine will be up to the task, if I understand correctly? Do I need the premium version of Emby for transcoding?

What CPU will you have? And yes, Emby Premiere will give you hardware accelerated transcoding, if your GPU supports that.

• Like 1

i3-8109U

Will that be up to the task of burning in subtitles to a 720p or 1040p x264 file without hardware acceleration? I assume it will be up to it with the acceleration, but want to make sure I understand.