Live TV on Shield - failure

rliepins

rliepins

Hi

Ok, the wife said no more.  Emby no longer works.

We were watching the Oscars about 45 minuntes into the recording.  Fail....We started the recording ok, but the closer we got to live, the system froze.

We had to stop recording and then start the recording again, but the wife said no...this does not work.

WFT????  Why can't this be dealt with?  This is a total fail and I have to now get a Comcast box to apease the wife.  

Sorry, but if this can't be fixed, I have to leave y'all.  This is sad.s

rliepins

BWT, the stop in action starts about up to 20 to 30 minutes to live.  Also, I am on an Nvidia Shield.

If anything can be done or if there is hope for the future to tell the wife, please let me know.

BillOatman

I'm confused.  You were recording at the same time as watching the recording, and I assume skipping past the commercials to catch up to live (timeshifting)?

In that situation I would probably record in emby and watch live via something like tivimate on my shield, then when the show was over watch the recording for the parts I missed. That wouldn't work for something like an episode of some series where chronological order matters.  But in this particular case it would work.

You could watch live (not the recording) in Emby too, but some report issues when watching (primarily when they stop watching) a show that they are also recording.

IMO no software package I've seen, Emby, Plex, or anything else, is a good enough replacement for cable for my wife.  Like yours, she just wants it to work, period.  Plus factoring in the overall reliability of IPTV and I ended up at the same place it seems you are heading ... namely having a cable box for the wife. In my case it is a very worthwhile investment.  Happy wife equals happy life, plus my not needing to be 24/7 tech support for her.

Edited by BillOatman

Spaceboy

I have no issue doing this with short shows, less than an hour. But anything over an hour can be a bit more hit and miss