How to sort music

Seven_

Hi,

I want to add my music into emby but i dont know which plugin is better for sorting organising

what i want to to achieve is to organise the music like so:  albums to albums

and singles to singles 

Sorry for silly question, i want to do the transition from plex to emby

HI there, how have you organized the files in your music library?

Hi,

like i say in the post, i have albums and i have singles, what i want to do is to create a music library and add all of them both singles and album on same library

Deathsquirrel

Right now you need to organize everything into albums.  That includes singles and remixes.

\\<SERVER>\<SHARE>\Artist\Album\track.mp3

For example:

\\<MYSERVER>\music\mb3\Linkin Park\Hybrid Theory\Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory - 1-1 - Papercut.flac

\\<MYSERVER>\music\mb3\Linkin Park\Hybrid Theory EP\Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory EP - 1-1 - Carousel.flac

The files should also be tagged using something like picard or media monkey.

Right now you need to organize everything into albums.  That includes singles and remixes.

\\<SERVER>\<SHARE>\Artist\Album\track.mp3

For example:

\\<MYSERVER>\music\mb3\Linkin Park\Hybrid Theory\Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory - 1-1 - Papercut.flac

\\<MYSERVER>\music\mb3\Linkin Park\Hybrid Theory EP\Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory EP - 1-1 - Carousel.flac

The files should also be tagged using something like picard or media monkey.

my media is named properly and with proper artist and genre, album..etc

and is a single for a reason, some singles have no album because is a single

Edited by Seven_

skidmarks

You could create a "singles" folder:  Artist/singles/# - Song title (and then just keep adding singles for the said artist to this folder).

or

You can add the single to the artist folder individually for each one: Artist/Song Title/# - Song Title

I use both methods.  Depends on how you have the metadata saved and how you would like to have them displayed.

But i would stay away from just throwing all the singles from all artists into one big folder.

Hi

I use [Non-Album Tracks], a folder under the artist Name to store singles etc that are not tied to a particular album.  

@@Luke it looks like MusicBrainz is changing to Stand Alone Recording. Should that work similarly, just a folder under the artist?

See link for its use

https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Standalone_Recording

Yea that is something we'll have to look at supporting, although once we become fully tag driven then we won't care about your folder structure anymore. We're almost there.

• 3 years later...
MindBullet

Hey there guys and hi Luke!

glad to be back on Emby once more. I'd like to revive this discussion.

Coming from Plex I really miss the option to have music automatically sorted in different groups. Like they do on musicbrainz themselves, e.g.:

Ariana Grande: Albums, Albums + Compilations, Remixes, Live, Singles etc

Wouldn't that be a huge gain for any music library? To have this sorted on a metadatabase, coming from Musicbrainz themselves already? Also, the option to let the admin decide if it's turned on or not like they do on Plex would be huuuuuge.

Just take "big" bands like AC/DC or Metallica or even Michael Jackson, who've been making music for several decades. Currently I have like 50+ items for each of those in their respective library, making it very hard to find what you're looking for quickly.

Having stuff sorted automatically into Albums, Singles, Compilations, Live Albums and what not would be such a huge benefit, don't you agree?

I would really love if this would be taken into consideration in the future. Feels good to be back by the way, 

Cheers ❤️

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MindBullet said:

Hey there guys and hi Luke!

glad to be back on Emby once more. I'd like to revive this discussion.

Coming from Plex I really miss the option to have music automatically sorted in different groups. Like they do on musicbrainz themselves, e.g.:

Ariana Grande: Albums, Albums + Compilations, Remixes, Live, Singles etc

Wouldn't that be a huge gain for any music library? To have this sorted on a metadatabase, coming from Musicbrainz themselves already? Also, the option to let the admin decide if it's turned on or not like they do on Plex would be huuuuuge.

Just take "big" bands like AC/DC or Metallica or even Michael Jackson, who've been making music for several decades. Currently I have like 50+ items for each of those in their respective library, making it very hard to find what you're looking for quickly.

Having stuff sorted automatically into Albums, Singles, Compilations, Live Albums and what not would be such a huge benefit, don't you agree?

I would really love if this would be taken into consideration in the future. Feels good to be back by the way, 

Cheers ❤️

HI, yes it certainly makes sense. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1