Server version requirements?

gardar

Seems like the latest version of the android app has some new minimum server requirements, I suddenly can't connect to my server from Android Mobile, it just fails with the following message:

"This Emby Server needs to be updated. To download the latest version, please visit <a href="https://emby.media">https://emby.media</a>"

What changes have been done on the mobile app that require me to update my Emby server?

And what is the minimum required version? I really think it should be noted somewhere, but I can't find it in the changelog or descripiton in play store.

A number of workarounds for older versions were removed in order to reduce complication and make new development easier.

We do support running older versions of emby server, but it's not always realistic for us to support every old version. Usually versions within a year old are the cut off point.

If you have an issue with a never version please let us know and we're happy to help. You can also install an older version of the apk.

Can you be a bit more specific on what workaround those are?

Because I just decompiled the latest apk, changed the _minServerVersion and recompiled it and it seems to be working perfectly fine.

So I guess I could just as well modify my server to present itself as a later version than it is, so that I don't have to spread the modified apk to all my users.

I get that you don't want to maintain old versions for ever, but I think it's kind of harsh to display a message that the server needs to be updated and then exit the app, especially when it seems to work just fine.

It would be much nicer if you could display that warning somewhere but still let the app run, or even just display it to the administrator, since there isn't much that the users can do.

Happy2Play

I would assume future client/app updates would stop working properly do to a old server installation.  There really is not way to stop client/apps from automatically updating, like you can on the server via automatic update settings.

But the fact remains that the old app still works perfectly fine, the only thing stopping it is one string of text in the app that you guys put there...

I could understand that minimum version requirement if you had made some major changes in the way the client and server communicate and the app would simply not be able to talk to the server at all.

I just think it's a bad move, since you don't mention it anywhere that there are some minimum requirements.

Also putting up a notice in the app that the mininum requiriments in the server would be changing within 6 months or something would be much better than simply just making the app unusable. End of life notices would be nice.

The latest version of the Android app doesn't like the latest version of the docker image. Can you push a new docker image or Android app with the versions matching please?