New Watched Indicators

moviefan

moviefan

Not a fan of the new watched indicators in MBC.  My wife's first comment after the upgrade was pointing out how much more difficult it is now to determine if a show is unwatched or not anymore since they icons are the same color and size.  I agree.  I liked it better when the icons were different colors.

• Like 1

Sorry but we are trying to unify our client interfaces to some extent and this is the paradigm all other clients are using (green circles).

Yep, my wife said the same thing.

I think it would be a nice option to just disable the played indicator for series, like the "Played Indicator on Folders" option in the config under View Options > Indicators.

• Like 1

I'd rather refine the default behavior to something most people are happy with than add yet another option.

Maybe a darker shade of green for watched...

OK, I thought it made sense as an option since it was essentially the same thing for a different media type.

sinjen

I have always disliked the green. Are you no longer going to support customizing the color like before (via a manual edit to the config file)? I noticed mine reverted back to the green a few revs back, but haven't gone looking for the setting. I think the icons themselves are fine though.

moviefan

I'd rather refine the default behavior to something most people are happy with than add yet another option.

Maybe a darker shade of green for watched...

Darker shade would probably be good.  It should just be OBVIOUS if something is watched or unwatched IMHO.  I get the idea of trying to streamline across the various product lines but I think you should pick the better version when choosing which one to standardize on.  Something to more easily differentiate watched vs unwatched would be much appreciated.

"Better" is subjective.  All the other clients have the same basic color and shape of watched markers vs. unwatched counts.

Logos302

yeah, before it was easier to tell the difference between watched an unwatched at a glance.  As a side note I do get the standardization, but sometimes it doesn't always work.  *Cough* Windows 8 *Cough* and needs refinement for certain environments.  I like the option of making it changeable but if that not an option maybe two different colours of green would work a dark and lighter green.  Like this green and This Green as an example.  This would allow for a quick and easy way to tell the difference at a glance.  

jordy

Why not turn off "Unwatched" icons? I have MB set to display how many unwatched in each TV Series/Movie Collection at the top levels but when I'm looking at the individual movie posters or inside a season folder only the "Watched" icons show. No issue with knowing whats what this way - no matter the color, size or shape of the icon.

blade005

I like knowing knowing how many episodes I haven't watched.

Logos302,

Jordy suggestion in the post above would give you that view.  

Select SHOW UNPLAYED COUNT and PLAYED INDICATOR ON ITEMS under VIEW -- OPTIONS of MBC Configuration. This should show you the number of Unplayed / Unwatched items at the Series Level and at the Season Level. You should also get a CHECK MARK indicator for all PLAYED ITEMS and no indicator for Unplayed / Unwatched items.  I have my configuration set up to default to next unplayed item in Chocolate Theme, but turning off Unwatched indicator would make it visually easy to pick up as well.

Edited by blade005

jordy

just a note, if you have "Use Custom view for series" enabled (Settings/Chocolate view), the watched episodes do not have a check mark but the episode title is a different color, which I believe you can change through the xml files if it doesn't stand out enough.

Disorganise

I've noticed that once you get down to the last unwatched show in a folder, the folder count incorrectly says 2.  Then you watch the show, and the folder count says 1, even though entering the folder says nothing to display (can't remember the actual message, sorry).  To fix it, you have to back out to the MB main menu and then drop back into TV shows, at which point the finished show no longer appears as I have it set to show only unwatched.  I use chocolate and turned off the custom view for series.  Pretty sure this is only since last weekends update.

jordy

I think that the incorrect unwatched show count is due to the server not updating immediately after the show has been watched. I believe updating occurs only after you change the focus to something different - as in going back to the main menu. I'm pretty sure this has been raised elsewhere - might be in regards to the Android app, pretty sure it's an issue with all the clients - and I think it's being looked at.

Logos302

Logos302,

Jordy suggestion in the post above would give you that view.  

Select SHOW UNPLAYED COUNT and PLAYED INDICATOR ON ITEMS under VIEW -- OPTIONS of MBC Configuration. This should show you the number of Unplayed / Unwatched items at the Series Level and at the Season Level. You should also get a CHECK MARK indicator for all PLAYED ITEMS and no indicator for Unplayed / Unwatched items.  I have my configuration set up to default to next unplayed item in Chocolate Theme, but turning off Unwatched indicator would make it visually easy to pick up as well.

If I understand correctly this is how I have it.  And to me the green on white just isn't a good colour match.  And based on this topic I'm not the only one.  

• 4 weeks later...