4.3.1.0 Libaries a mess -Ubuntu 18.04

Shadetree1999
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Shadetree1999

I have a server running Emby server 4.1.1.0 on Ubuntu 16. I have also set up a new server with Ubuntu 18, with Emby 4.3.1.0 on it. I copied my movie and tv folders to the new server, and all the tvshows and movies show as "no items found" when clicking the library....but *some* of them show up under "folders". When a show is selected to play, it's most often not the show selected. When I add the 4.3.1.0 libraries on the Emby 4.1.1.0 server...they're perfectly fine. And if I add the libraries from the 4.3.1.0 server to the 4.1.1.0 server...again, they all display fine. So my folder/file structure has been fine for 2 or so years with all the previous versions of Emby server. Permissions for folders are identical for both servers. Anyone else having these issues?

Shadetree1999

Sure. Each tv season is in it's own folder i.e. /mnt/drive/media/tvshows/series/season/episodes. Each movies is in it's own folder. i.e. /mnt/drive/media/movies/movie.

When I select the library "tv shows"...it's says "there is nothing here". If I go over to the "files" menu, it shows each of the series (including artwork), but the episode count is off, with many seasons and shows missing. It also doesn't play the show selected..but one from an entirely different series.

Emby 4.1.x.x reads the libraries just fine on both computers. 4.3.x.x. reads the libraries on the 4.1.x.x computer fine...but not on the same physical machine (not sure if I have explained it well..2 computers that have essentially mirrored data drives on the same network. Computer with 4.1 reads libraries on either machine fine..computer with 4.3 reads other computer data drive fine...won't read It's own drive libraries properly).

Data drives on both computers are a lvm configuration with a pair of drives on each machine mounted as one. Libraries on 2nd computer were originally created by folder (/mnt/drive/media) drag and drop via gui. After all the indexing problems, they were deleted and recreated via rsync with -a switch...same problem. This takes time as it's roughly a 3 tb library. I would like to upgrade the original machine to Ubuntu 18, and replace the data drives with has quality drives but unwilling to do that until I get this sorted out. Oh..don't know if it makes a difference...Emby premier key is active on 4.3.x.x machine. Thank you for your reply.

Shadetree1999

Thank you for your reply. Yes. One library for movies and one for tv shows.

The parent folder for tv shows is called tv shows. Under that folder would be a series of folders with the title of each tv show (let's use "gunsmoke" as one folder and "I Love Lucy" as another folder for example). Under those would be a series of folders..i.e. "season one, season two" etc. In the season folders would be all the episodes, artwork etc for that season (i.e., there might be 20 episodes of season 1 in that folder, 20 episodes in the season2 folder and so on).

This structure worked fine on all versions of emby up to 4.1.x.x The entire parent folders for tv and movies was then copied to a 2nd machine running emby 4.3.1.0. Oddly if I create libraries on the 4.3.1.0 machine reading the files on the 4.1.x.x machine, it works fine. I have checked permissions and ownership of the directories for both machines and confirmed they are identical. Note: there are two differences between each machine ...the version of Ubuntu and the Emby version. It may be an Ubantu related issue. I may try uninstalling and reinstalling Emby server on the Ubantu machine tonite.

Shadetree1999

Interestingly, I deleted Emby server, installed an Ubantu update that was waiting, and re-istalled Emby server...the installation showed up withh all my old settings (port change, libraries etc). I deleted every library, re-installed the libraries....and *bingo*...everything indexes properly now...but all the "plot" lines in the nfo's are screwy...they all have episode plots from the first tv series...ie...every single shoe...let's use "gunsmoke" for example...shows the "plot" from "All In the family"....every single tv series. This I can fix...but it's weird. Sorry, but between the ubuntu update, and the emby server re-install, I suspect we will never know where it went sideways.

Shadetree1999

So I spoke too soon. After reinstalling Emby server 4.3.1. I deleted all the *.nfo files, had Emby rescan the metadata and update the libraries...all is right with the world....library content shows up as it should, episode count is right...episode details correct....then I noticed on the dashboard "restart Emby server to finish applying updates" (this is fresh install from 4.3.1.0 deb)....restarted server and bam....all my tv shows and movies dissapeared "content not found"....but scrolling over to "files", they are there..with correct episode count and metadata. So for now, I guess I delete Emby server again, reinstall, and don't "restart" and hope I don't have a power failure :/

• Solution
Happy2Play

So I spoke too soon. After reinstalling Emby server 4.3.1. I deleted all the *.nfo files, had Emby rescan the metadata and update the libraries...all is right with the world....library content shows up as it should, episode count is right...episode details correct....then I noticed on the dashboard "restart Emby server to finish applying updates" (this is fresh install from 4.3.1.0 deb)....restarted server and bam....all my tv shows and movies dissapeared "content not found"....but scrolling over to "files", they are there..with correct episode count and metadata. So for now, I guess I delete Emby server again, reinstall, and don't "restart" and hope I don't have a power failure :/

The restart can only be from a plugin update, so what plugin updated?

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Shadetree1999

Thank you for the reply. Interesting. I had installed the TvHeadend plugin a few days ago (the only additional plugin I tried)...but "uninstalled" it when I deleted all the libraries, prior to finally deleting the Emby server and reinstalling Emby. It appears the uninstall doesn't uninstall everything, because when I reinstall, the fresh installation loads to the different port I had previously mapped to..(i.e. localhost:some other port other than 8096)

I really appreciate your comment...it gives me a place to start investigating....not sure how to fix this if the uninstall still leaves bits and pieces around.

Happy2Play

Thank you for the reply. Interesting. I had installed the TvHeadend plugin a few days ago (the only additional plugin I tried)...but "uninstalled" it when I deleted all the libraries, prior to finally deleting the Emby server and reinstalling Emby. It appears the uninstall doesn't uninstall everything, because when I reinstall, the fresh installation loads to the different port I had previously mapped to..(i.e. localhost:some other port other than 8096)

I really appreciate your comment...it gives me a place to start investigating....not sure how to fix this if the uninstall still leaves bits and pieces around.

I only use Windows so I am not sure what is going on with uninstall on your OS.  But I would look and a Emby log and near the top you should see the Programdata path, this folder contain all your  Emby configs.  If uninstall is not removing that folder then manually delete if before reinstalling.

Edited by Happy2Play

Shadetree1999

Mystery solved!  Thank you Happy2Play !  Looking through the logs, I found all the places it "lived".  I deleted Emby server, purged the config directories, and re-installed....and it was a "true" fresh install.  Added my libraries, they are perfect.  Did the "restart to finish updates", and it came back.....perfect!  While it appears there may be an issue with the TvHeadend plug in (not about to try that again!), I was only fooling around with it as a learning exercise, not something I intend to run anyways. 

Thank you so much!