refresh rate switching not selecting precise frame rate

McChen

After testing the latest 1.7.78 Emby app on a Shield TV 2019 and Fire TV 4k Stick there is an issue picking the correct refresh rate when refresh rate switching is enabled. For 23.98fps titles, it selects 24fps and for 29.97fps it selects 30fps. My TV supports all of these 4 refresh rates. I can manually select the correct refresh rate in the player settings, but Emby should select the right one without the user having to do that. I believe before this latest version, Emby did select the correct precise refresh rate

Log sent at 5:36pm ET

Title played was "Miss Saigon: 25th Anniversary"

user was atv-home

This happens with all titles that I have, it's not isolated to any particular title. 23.98/29.97 always gets rounded up to 24/30. Emby does show the correct frame rate in the "stats for nerds" info box though.

That was on a Shield 2019 device, which has a beta "match frame rate" system wide feature which does with work Emby. If I use that, the proper frame rate is detected and switched to.

The other thing I thought was strange was that since I have my Shield normally running at 59.94fps that Emby changed the frame rate to 30 for a 29.97 title instead of just keeping the frame rate at 59.94. Not sure if it did this because it thought it was 30fps and perhaps it wouldn't do that if it thought it was 29.97?

Yeah, there is a rounding error in there.  If you turn on both options - match rate and resolution, I think it will find the best one for you.

Yes, I can confirm that if I enable match resolution the frame rate match is correct. Will this be fixed in a future version of the app? I'd like to keep match resolution disabled as the 2019 Shield TV has an AI upscaling feature that I'd rather use instead of the TV upscaler.

Yes, I can confirm that if I enable match resolution the frame rate match is correct. Will this be fixed in a future version of the app? I'd like to keep match resolution disabled as the 2019 Shield TV has an AI upscaling feature that I'd rather use instead of the TV upscaler.

The next release of the app will fix this.

Thanks for reporting.