SHR, Raid, Drivepool Question

Bigmack3000

Bigmack3000

I have SHR-1 with 2 8TB drives and 2 12TB drives.  I want to purchase two more 12tb drives, but now also need to switch my backup strategy.  I would love to do a 1 for 1 backup, but using Synology's raid calculator I can't find one that doesn't end up with a lot of wasted space.  The closest is SHR-2.  Is that enough back up?

It seems a program like drive bender would be closer to what I'm looking for.  Any way to get this on Synology?

Thanks.

chacawaca

i dont know what you do in life or anything, but just keep in mind that a raid dont replace a backup. that just save you time if a drive fail.

chacawaca

My point is SHR-1 with a good backup is probably better than a 1:1 raid without a backup in a home environment.

• Like 1

Bigmack3000

This synology is strictly for media with emby.  My main goal is just to not have to re-rip a bunch of blu-rays if a drive fails.  You recommend having a separate drive enclosure for that? What is the risk of having the back up drives in the same synology?

Bigmack3000

But Synology jbod is the same as drivebender, without functions like duplication. I have both

It's not so much the drive pooling I'm concerned about.  It's just that I want a backed up drive for each one in there.  So 1 8tb drive is a back up for the other 8tb drive.  1 12tb drive is the back up for the other 12tb drive, etc.  Is this ill-advised or overkill for something that just stores media?  Does SHR-2 provide enough protection from that?

chacawaca

you need to ask yourself why you want to do a 1:1 raid at home ?

it is to be up 24/24 7/7, or its for a backup purpose?

it is for a backup purpose, its not the right way to do it. A raid isn't a backup.

Spaceboy

The reason it's not a back up is because an incident could take out the entire synology?

fire /flood could definitely do that. If depends on how important the data is to you. I’ve got about 150tb spread across 24 bay Synology and 20 bay windows server. Important stuff is duplicated at home and on a backup in a storage unit I rent. Everything is in the process of being backed up to gdrive

chacawaca

yes but shr-1 is a 1 disk backup, for home use on a raid with 4 drive, it should be enough. Its better to have a backup of your data outside your synology, if you can outside your house, than have 2 drive backup on your raid. 

i like how this guys explain it https://stackoverflow.com/a/21054888.

my 2 cent

Bigmack3000

I don't mind having backups outside of my synology, but how do you access what is on each individual drive so that you can back them up?  Or do I need to buy a backup enclosure with equal bays to my synology, and also pool my back up drives?

FrostByte

I use SHR for disk recovery and call it good enough for movies, etc.  For home movies, photos, etc (stuff the wife would kill me if we lost) I also use Synology's Hyper Backup to external USB

Bigmack3000

But if there was enough content to fit on more than one drive, how do you deal with that?  When using Hyper Backup you can chose an individual drive for backup?

Bigmack3000

But is there a way to know which part of a directory is on which drive?

Also, how often do people find they need to switch out drives?

Spaceboy

But is there a way to know which part of a directory is on which drive?

Also, how often do people find they need to switch out drives?

hardly ever, I’ve had I think 1 go bad but I managed to get all the data off in 10 years. I’ve also had a couple start failing smart tests within warranty and I’ve just returned them Edited by Spaceboy

FrostByte

I've only had mine for just over a year using WD reds and no problems so far.  DSM should start to throw up warnings though when a drive is going bad.  I also make sure I run a monthly consistency check. 

Having a hot spare is always a good idea if you can afford just having a new HD sitting around collecting dust

• 2 weeks later...
Bigmack3000

Anyone have suggestions for an affordable back-up set-up?  I don't need to factor in the spare drives in the raid for back-up, do I?  Example, if I have 2x 8tb and 4x12tb with SHR2, I only need back-up for 40tbs?