Confession from a Former Jellyfin User

dannymichel

Gilgamesh_48

I tested the latest Jellyfin and found it to be quite lacking. I really did not even think about actually using Jellyfin but I like to know my options.

I also would not use JellyFin because I consider them as thieves. Yes I know what they did was not at all illegal but they took a piece of software developed by others and changed it. They created nothing and therefore deserve no support.

I do not see any advantage to Jellyfin except they are open source and in many cases that is much worse that closed source because there is no real control and no accountability.

BAlGaInTl
4 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I tested the latest Jellyfin and found it to be quite lacking. I really did not even think about actually using Jellyfin but I like to know my options.

I also would not use JellyFin because I consider them as thieves. Yes I know what they did was not at all illegal but they took a piece of software developed by others and changed it. They created nothing and therefore deserve no support.

I do not see any advantage to Jellyfin except they are open source and in many cases that is much worse that closed source because there is no real control and no accountability.

I spin up a JF container every now and then just to see how it's going.  I haven't seen enough compelling progress to switch from Emby.

pir8radio
54 minutes ago, BAlGaInTl said:

I spin up a JF container every now and then just to see how it's going.  I haven't seen enough compelling progress to switch from Emby.

yep like the last two posts, its like going back in time with emby..  😄     I install it now and then too.     Like the wayback machine..        I don't really agree that opensource is better or worse than closed source.     Open is nice for getting in and looking around, making custom changes...  People like to say "I only use opensource" these are like the Whole Foods shopper of software though...   Opensource has it's place.  Just like whole foods lol....  I laugh every time I see a new post in this topic..   like "it's still alive?"    

• Haha 2

darkside40
8 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

What you consider a theft is what Open Source Software is all about. You can fork it an modify it by your needs.

If you take a little twist you could also blame the Emby Devs as thiefs because they took an Open Source product which volunteers contributed to and transfered it into a Close Source commercial product. Also what they did was not illegal. So who to blame.

At least there is a free of cost Version of Emby left.

I dont like the closed source Character of Emby. There are problems in the Server and the Client persisting for years (eg Wake on Lan on the Android Client, LiveTV cant handle multiple resolution m3u) or feature request which are caught in the "friend zone" forever (customizing new Media Notification, New Media Webhook). Things that could be done by the community with the source code and a bit of documentation.

I stick with Emby because i got a Lifetime License time ago.

Am I happy with the product? -> Yeah most of the times

Am I happy how Emby progresses and how the community is involved? Absolutely not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, pir8radio said:

yep like the last two posts, its like going back in time with emby..  😄     I install it now and then too.     Like the wayback machine..        I don't really agree that opensource is better or worse than closed source.     Open is nice for getting in and looking around, making custom changes...  People like to say "I only use opensource" these are like the Whole Foods shopper of software though...   Opensource has it's place.  Just like whole foods lol....  I laugh every time I see a new post in this topic..   like "it's still alive?"    

What a load of crap.  I have some expensive home automation software.  Its good on its own,  but many of the features, many basic,  that it should have, it doesn't and the developers as usual do their own thing with little communication with the user base.  As a result many have moved away to open source options.

The ones that have stayed,  rely heavily on a very select bunch of developers who create additional plugin software that has nothing to do with the base software and who develop it based on user feedback.  These plugins take an average software and make it great,  but all done by individuals not in any way related to the manufacturer of the base software. Not to mention most of the best stuff devloped with it is free to use. That's what you get with open source. 

12 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Lol. Clueless

7 hours ago, darkside40 said:

If you take a little twist you could also blame the Emby Devs as thiefs because they took an Open Source product which volunteers contributed to and transfered it into a Close Source commercial product.

Hi.  That simply wasn't the case.  JF didn't do anything wrong because we had published our code as open source.  But it was all our code.  Everything that was closed was created by or contracted (and paid) for by Emby.

Actually, I do have one beef with the JF devs - they went in and deliberately removed attributions from code that showed that we originally created it.  If that isn't illegal in the OSS world, it certainly isn't within the spirit of what they supposedly stand for.

• Like 2

darkside40

So there was never Code contributed to the Emby Server Core by volunteers? Only by paid devs?

Than i ask myself why Emby was Open Source for such a long time.

13 minutes ago, darkside40 said:

Than i ask myself why Emby was Open Source for such a long time

Our original vision was for it to be open source but, as it developed, we found that we were not going to be able to reach our goal of being the best personal media server available with that model.  It was going to require full-time investment and resources.

In hindsight, we left the code open for much too long.

• Like 2

Painkiller8818
1 minute ago, ebr said:

we found that we were not going to be able to reach our goal of being the best personal media server available

Is it still your plan to reach this goal?

Because there are so many request from 2015 etc. with enough + on it to see user want to have it and if we ask it seems like pre programmed answers luke bound to his keyboard.

It is always the same: good idea for future updates, not yet we are working on it, it is planned for the future etc...

i hope you can understand this makes people really angry and losing hope, so maybe think about the way you handle and take care of bug reports and feature requests.

I am also a programmer and i see a lot stuff could be done easily, not everything ppl want is a huge change.

I am using emby now for about 2 years and some of my first requests are still not done yet (security related things) like revamp user permissions, prevent deletion or modification of playlists for non admins etc.

This should be something you really need to focus, bugs and security features instead of fixing some visual problems with some subtitles.

Emby has a lot of potential but it really looks most devs give a shit on the users, i absolutely understand not every request makes sense and not everything can be implemented.

But requests since 2015, its better to say clearly, we dont wanna implement it instead of putting people off again and again.

I am really interested if the new stable will have the permission revamps and hide of storage locations for non admins etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Spaceboy
7 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

Is it still your plan to reach this goal?

Because there are so many request from 2015 etc. with enough + on it to see user want to have it and if we ask it seems like pre programmed answers luke bound to his keyboard.

It is always the same: good idea for future updates, not yet we are working on it, it is planned for the future etc...

i hope you can understand this makes people really angry and losing hope, so maybe think about the way you handle and take care of bug reports and feature requests.

I am also a programmer and i see a lot stuff could be done easily, not everything ppl want is a huge change.

I am using emby now for about 2 years and some of my first requests are still not done yet (security related things) like revamp user permissions, prevent deletion or modification of playlists for non admins etc.

This should be something you really need to focus, bugs and security features instead of fixing some visual problems with some subtitles.

Emby has a lot of potential but it really looks most devs give a shit on the users, i absolutely understand not every request makes sense and not everything can be implemented.

But requests since 2015, its better to say clearly, we dont wanna implement it instead of putting people off again and again.

I am really interested if the new stable will have the permission revamps and hide of storage locations for non admins etc.

he said " the best personal media server available" not "the perfect media server". they've already achieved the former IMO

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Painkiller8818
4 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

he said " the best personal media server available" not "the perfect media server". they've already achieved that IMO

i got what he said. but it is not the best available but it could be if new features and more important, bugs would be handled a bit more faster and userfriendly.

I came from plex, but now plex has implemented a lot features some emby users requested years before plex had the idea to it.

plex always overtakes emby with new features but emby users requested it here years before they implemented it.

Edited by Painkiller8818

Painkiller8818

Some of the requests of users i solved with poweshell scripts in 10-15 mins so it could not be that hard to implement it in emby. i published a lot scripts for other people here, so if the devs have no idea how to do it, they should use those scripts as a template and just migrate it to .net language. 

• Agree 1

BAlGaInTl
42 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

i got what he said. but it is not the best available but it could be if new features and more important, bugs would be handled a bit more faster and userfriendly.

I came from plex, but now plex has implemented a lot features some emby users requested years before plex had the idea to it.

plex always overtakes emby with new features but emby users requested it here years before they implemented it.

"Best" is up for interpretation by the user I think.  If it's not the best for you, that's perfectly okay.  Many here think that Emby is the best for the exact same logic of what Plex has done.  Many don't want all of those features, tracking, and telemetry.

So what is your best available?  I'm honestly curious.

39 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

Some of the requests of users i solved with poweshell scripts in 10-15 mins so it could not be that hard to implement it in emby. i published a lot scripts for other people here, so if the devs have no idea how to do it, they should use those scripts as a template and just migrate it to .net language. 

Fair enough, but writing a script for a single case is far from implementing a feature in a cross platform application. You're script isn't going to work on my official Docker container running on Unraid. So how long would it take you to create that same function, make sure it works on all 4 major server variants, and then test that it behaves as expected in hundreds of combinations of environments and clients?

The Emby team is still small for the product that they produce/maintain. I personally think they do a good job balancing bug fixes and new features.  No, it's not  iterating as fast as Plex with their MUCH larger resource pool.  Emby has to carefully balance new features and fixes with demand for those changes.

A quick look at the Releases page shows that the team remains very active in adding features and fixes.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases

• Agree 1

pir8radio
1 hour ago, Painkiller8818 said:

so what is the best available then if not emby?  curious to check it out..  it's not plex..     always looking for new media servers to check them out!

on another topic..  media servers are going to die soon, just like home mp3 media servers..   with all the online streaming competition prices are dropping..   for modern every day music majority of users don't fire up their mp3 playlist any longer, they use Pandora, Spotify, etc..    its going to be like that for the rest of media soon too..    Live TV will extend media servers usefulness for a little longer but not much..       Time Hop this post in 6 years.. lol  

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, Painkiller8818 said:

what is the best then? and why arent you using it? i've got a sub for plex and i've looked briefly at Jellyfin. For my requirements neither lay a glove on emby

Painkiller8818
10 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

what is the best then? and why arent you using it?

I am, i have the Emby lifetime and plex lifetime. As i said there is much potential for emby but the way they handle peoples request just make it worse.

I wasn't unhappy with plex. The main reason i switched was the online login service, and if they have problems with their servers my private server wasn't working till they fixed it.

And for me emby looks better, thanks to the coverart plugin, but i really can't say i was unhappy with plex. I love tautulli where i can see exactly what and why it is transcoding.

i see plex has now implemented 2FA, which is requested here for years. The multicast feature requested here is done in plex already etc.

both have their pros and cons but changes or upgrades are coming a lot slower here, and if you ask it is always the same answer.

So it is not that much the product of emby i don't like, it is the way things are handled and how the people are treated here or how they are put off again and again

Emby has the potential to become the best mediaserver, but it is the way how admins care about users wishes what makes it a pain 

Edited by Painkiller8818

Spaceboy
2 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

I am, i have the Emby lifetime and plex lifetime. As i said there is much potential for emby but the way they handle peoples request just make it worse.

I wasn't unhappy with plex. The main reason i switched was the online login service, and if they have problems with their servers my private server wasn't working till they fixed it.

And for me emby looks better, thanks to the coverart plugin, but i really can't say i was unhappy with plex. I love tautulli where i can see exactly what and why it is transcoding.

i see plex has now implemented 2FA, which is requested here for years. The multicast feature requested here is done in plex already etc.

both have their pros and cons but changes or upgrades are coming a lot slower here, and if you ask it is always the same answer.

So it is not that much the product of emby i don't like, it is the way things are handled and how the people are treated here or how they are put off again and again

Emby has the potential to become the best mediaserver, but it is the way how admins care about users wishes what makes it a pain 

so...... emby is the best media server for you.......? 🤷‍♂️

the online login and tracking of data by plex is a non-negotiable for most users here. there's currently nothing plex does over emby that would make me give that up

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

As is often the case,  the users having to make stuff to do what the software should already do

2 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

i see plex has now implemented 2FA, which is requested here for years

As far as that specific feature goes - that is really quite easy for them to do - for the very reason you do not like them - they have a centralized login system whereby they control all of (supposedly but not really) your users.  We don't work that way which makes something like this feature infinitely more complex.

darkside40

At least für the Webgui TOTP should be fairly easy to implement. 
Althought i dont think 2FA is neccessary for a private use media server. 

Painkiller8818
7 minutes ago, darkside40 said:

Althought i dont think 2FA is neccessary for a private use media server. 

Most people have their emby server accessible from the internet so this makes it a public server and with a lot of tools you can scan and identify emby servers. So it would be easy to do attacks on them. 

1 hour ago, darkside40 said:

You have to understand that we (Emby) have no control of or even knowledge of your private server users.  So anything like this will require some setup and maintenance on the individual server owner's part.  Plus, Implementing a security measure that only works on one specific platform would be a waste of time for sure.  If it cannot be enforced system wide, there really is no point.

But this is a digression from this discussion so we should just end it there.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1