Clarification OpenSubtitles plugin hash match

ms4sman
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi all,

I'm looking for some clarification about the OpenSubtitles plugin.

I've read through the knowledge base articles for both Automatic Subtitle Downloading and the OpenSubtitles plugin, and I understand that with the Require Hash Match option checked, it will ONLY download a subtitle if it can find one with a proper hash match to ensure it will work.

What I haven't been able to find any confirmation about (although I could easily have missed it) is this: if I leave that unchecked, will it still TRY to make a hash match? As in, it'll only resort to downloading a non-matching subtitle if it already looked for a matching one and couldn't find it?

And on that topic, when it can't find a match, how does it determine which to download? Just the most popular one?

Thanks for the info, I'm new to Emby, converting from Plex and loving it so far!

Thanks,

ms4sman

• Solution

if I leave that unchecked, will it still TRY to make a hash match?

Hi there, yes it will. Results with a hash match will get top priority.

• Like 1

Awesome, that's just what I was hoping to hear!

In that case, I'll turn it on. Most of my content has hash matches, and what doesn't, often still matches up well enough with the top non-matching subs. So this way I can just fix the mis-matches as I find them.

Incidentally, I like how Emby handles subtitling in general FAR better than Plex. I feel like I was constantly wrestling with subtitle problems that were difficult to fix on there. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

ms4sman