Simultanious scheduled recordings

dcol

It is a less common thing to see a stream fail lately, but it happens. If the stream has an issue then the recording will stop and I will see, as an example, a 60 minute recording only recorded for 15 minutes. Why it fails is beyond me. I do see a stream buffer with the dreaded circle now and then. When Emby encounters this, it just fails the recording.

We all know IPTV streams are not 100% reliable, I am surprised that is even in question here. I want to record from 3 streams, same show, same time.

Edited by dcol

Soggybottoms

dcol -

How do you populate your guide data? Are you using the Emby guide data, or thru a third party source (your provider, Schedules Direct, etc.)? If you are using a third party a suggestion I can give is to use a command line tool like 'xmlstarlet' (available in both Windows/Linux flavor), which will allow you to safely manipulate the xmltv data (example: delete/add/modify elements/values in the xml file) before it gets imported by xteve/emby. If done correctly what it might be able to allow you to do is modify the xmltv data by modifying the episode value of each duplicate program you want to record to trick Emby into thinking that each program is different, therefore allowing Emby to record all three of the same episode.

I'm using xmlstarlet to modify my xmltv data before it gets imported into xteve/Emby, but my situation is different than yours as I want it to record all episodes (don't care about new vs old). I run this as a cronjob every night about 20 min after epg123 downloads the xmltv data from SD, and my other servers (Emby, TVHeadend) import the modified xmltv file about an hour later.

Not a solution, but offering as a workaround if you don't want to run three Emby servers..

Edited by Soggybottoms

Spaceboy

It is a less common thing to see a stream fail lately, but it happens. If the stream has an issue then the recording will stop and I will see, as an example, a 60 minute recording only recorded for 15 minutes. Why it fails is beyond me. I do see a stream buffer with the dreaded circle now and then. When Emby encounters this, it just fails the recording.

We all know IPTV streams are not 100% reliable, I am surprised that is even in question here. I want to record from 3 streams, same show, same time.

well, we all know that any live tv is not 100% reliable. even with OTA there is the issue of temporary signal loss due to weather or power loss.

i guess what i am saying is that I think the teams resources are best spent on fixing this for everyone, not just dcol. personally i think that just adding more and more iptv providers is not the way to go. who is to say that three is enough?

There is nothing for Emby to fix, Spaceboy, unless Emby did automatic switching to different providers and that would be a mess. This is the nature of IPTV streams.

Lets be real. Relying on one IPTV provider and Emby is not ever going to happen which is why I took this approach.

I populate my guide data using Emby on two servers and the NextPVR plug-in on another.

Editing guide data would still be a manual process, which is what I am trying to avoid. The ONLY answer for me is to allow the multiple recordings. Why is this such a hard concept?

Spaceboy

There is nothing for Emby to fix, Spaceboy, unless Emby did automatic switching to different providers and that would be a mess. This is the nature of IPTV streams.

Lets be real. Relying on one IPTV provider and Emby is not ever going to happen which is why I took this approach.

I populate my guide data using Emby on two servers and the NextPVR plug-in on another.

Editing guide data would still be a manual process, which is what I am trying to avoid. The ONLY answer for me is to allow the multiple recordings. Why is this such a hard concept?

of course there’s some to be fixed/improved. Any dvr worth it’s salt should resume any incomplete recordings at the first opportunity Edited by Spaceboy

Still not dealing with the request I was asking for. Rather than dealing with a broken stream with missing video, I would prefer to watch another stream that didn't have issues.

Spaceboy

Still not dealing with the request I was asking for. Rather than dealing with a broken stream with missing video, I would prefer to watch another stream that didn't have issues.

yes but if you haven’t noticed your request has received very little attention/support. I was trying to offer an alternative. But you persevere

CBers

Ok, It's not doable. I will continue with multiple servers.

Not sure what the IPTV providers are like in the US, but my IPTV provider in the UK is very reliable. Can you get access to a better provider?

I don't record that often, as I use it mainly for Live sport, but I'm sure I'd be annoyed if I kept having failed recordings in Emby without any way of it recovering itself.

maegibbons

having a failed recording continue to retry if its within the scheduled recording time is what the dev's should be focusing on

This is the most important issue to fix. A stream can glitch for a myriad of reasons. Emby should just try again with a -1 or -2 file name and recover whilst in the scheduled recording window.

This is just basic common sense surely?

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Not sure what the IPTV providers are like in the US, but my IPTV provider in the UK is very reliable. Can you get access to a better provider?

I don't record that often, as I use it mainly for Live sport, but I'm sure I'd be annoyed if I kept having failed recordings in Emby without any way of it recovering itself.

I've had over 15 IPTV providers in the past 2 years. They all have issues now and then. Usually at the least convenient times. The key is to find 2 or three that are originating from different sources and stick with them which is what I did. As an example, I recorded a news show last night and my primary server only recorded 28 minutes of a one hour show, the Emby server with the NextPVR plug-in only recorded 2 minutes of that show and the last Emby server got the whole show. The next show immediately following recorded perfectly on all three servers.

It's not me, I have 1Gbps Up 500Mbps down business internet. And it doesn't appear that Emby can control it which is why I wanted to record the three IPTV streams on one Emby server. I thought this was the only viable approach especially since Emby does not seem to be able to handle it. And I am not blaming Emby, it's just the unreliable nature of Internet streams.

Edited by dcol

This is the most important issue to fix. A stream can glitch for a myriad of reasons. Emby should just try again with a -1 or -2 file name and recover whilst in the scheduled recording window.

This is just basic common sense surely?

Krs

Mark

There may be many good approaches to this issue. Having multiple streams available for the same show gives Emby a chance to reconstruct a show maybe? IDK

maegibbons

i have never seen evidence of this

Nor me!

Yes, you do it when there is no tuner available at the start of the recording BUT i have NEVER seen a retry on a failed or glitched stream.

Krs

Mark

so can we assume that this was not correct?

Within the same broadcast, the server will keep retrying on failures. But if that same broadcast appears multiple times on the epg, what it won't currently do is reschedule another one based on a failure.

Spaceboy

Within the same broadcast, the server will keep retrying on failures. But if that same broadcast appears multiple times on the epg, what it won't currently do is reschedule another one based on a failure.

ok I’m sure I can fairly quickly get you examples that this doesn’t work as you expect then

ok I’m sure I can fairly quickly get you examples that this doesn’t work as you expect then

yes please, thanks.

• 1 month later...
Spaceboy

yes please, thanks.

ok finally got round to doing this. i started recording Hawaii Five 0 at 14.20 on Sky One. After ten mins or so i pulled the ethernet cable out of my router. after 5 mins i put it back in. the recording did not resume. i tried another iptv channel Sky Atlantic to make sure it was working and it was.

the recording indicator actually completely disappears. once the recording has been interrupted its as if emby thinks its complete and totally forgets about it. it even says so in the log

2020-03-23 14:34:50.225 Info SharedHttpPipelineSource: Live Stream ended.

2020-03-23 14:34:50.230 Info LiveTV: Recording completed to file Z:\Media\Recorded TV\Hawaii Five-0 (2010)\Season 3\Hawaii Five-0 S03E07 Ohuna.ts

2020-03-23 14:34:50.230 Info LiveTV: Recording completed: Z:\Media\Recorded TV\Hawaii Five-0 (2010)\Season 3\Hawaii Five-0 S03E07 Ohuna.ts

no idea how or why you think this is working but it isnt. it never has.

please don't ignore this thread now as you generally do when youve been proven wrong. i don't let things drop. :)

@@maegibbons

embyserver.txt

• Like 2

dcol

Yes, this has been one of my long standing complaints that no one took seriously.

Spaceboy

Five minutes is a long time though, isn't it?

[emoji23] I don’t think so but ok give me some parameters within which to work.

But regardless of this, no it’s not. Emby should keep retrying until the program ends at its scheduled time, like any other dvr would

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Not really - occasionally you will get an error - say your modem gets a forced firmware update - as my provider does occasionally (every month or so) - this can take over 5 mins before things settle down  and full connectivity is restored

But irrespective of that - if the time period of the recording still has outstanding time (once emby comes back online) then it should try again

Some logic would need to be added - to say try every minute or so - and say give up after x trys - so the server is not spamming itself etc etc

• Like 1